Deanna Dorrance

First post: 9/13/2016
October 26th 2015 is the day that Deanna found out she had leukemia.  What started off as routine blood work ended up in a diagnosis that no one wants to hear.  Her journey began there; it continued through many months of good and bad, but mostly good.

Showing only some signs of the more common side effects that go along with oral chemo, but never letting that diagnosis stop her.  She continued working and living life normally until the headaches started. The headaches soon turned into one morning not being able to see out of her left eye. Tests were done, but no explanations as to why this was occurring. Her oncologist looked deeper into research of her oral chemo and found a very rare side effect which could maybe explain headaches and loss of vision. Her optometrist was stumped and wanted more answers as to why there was a spot on her optic nerve that was creating pressure on it.

 So many visits later to the Er and many times sent home. She then experienced  a pain like she's never had before. Therefore bringing her back into the ER, she  than was admitted to observation. Many  signs & symptoms weren't adding up. So several tests and Dr's later they found she had meningitis. So steroids and antibiotics were now being administered. She was then discharged from the hospital.  Only to bring her back that very afternoon. I might add that on the morning of her release she looked good,  felt good, vitals were good & spinal fluid was clear. But yet she had that horrible pain return so back to the ER she went (unwillingly, it's Deanna-stubborn). That day in the ER, her blood pressure went through the roof and swelling in her brain caused her to experience a seizure, a sight no one should ever have to witness.

 Upon that admission more tests were done but more Dr's remained stumped as her rare symptoms were unexplainable.  So once again she improved and was discharged. With her husband and daughters by her side taking care of her, she improved.  And so for 2 months she lived her life normally again.

 Then one Wednesday morning she called and said she had something to show me, interpretation-not a good thing. Facial droop, slurred speech and once again not happy to return to the ER. They had a diagnosis of Bell's palsy, which in the grand scheme of things is better than what her future was holding for her.  So more steroids were prescribed and she was sent home.

 Most days she looked better.  But then a turn for the worse. Just finishing work she lost feeling on her left side. Bringing yet another visit to the ER.  More concern from the DR's this time.  CT scan and MRIs show possible stroke. But her oncologist was not satisfied. He ran more tests along with the neurologist finding that her cancer had gone into her spinal fluid.  He wanted her to see a specialist he knew of in Denver. So on the plane she went. Help flight flew my mom and myself to Denver. I immediately got a relief and an incredible feeling in my gut about her being there. And with a sad and tearful goodbye I left her in the hands of St Luke's Presbyterian hospital staff and my sister Jodi.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Deanna’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register