Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
In April of this year, Dayle had skin cancer removed around his left ear. The doctor was confident that all the of the cancer was taken out, but did say it could reoccur, highly unlikely, but could happen. In June, he started noticing sensitivity in it, especially when he laid on it. Mid July, he went to see his regular doctor, who, along with us, thought he had an ear infection. He started antibiotics, but didn't seem to get relief. Another round of antibiotics, same result. The doctor then sent him to the dermatologist that originally diagnosed the skin cancer and he agreed that it was a very bad infection. A stronger antibiotic was prescribed. The Tuesday before Labor Day, the dermatologist contacted Dayle to see if he was improving. Unfortunately, the answer was no. The dermatologist decided to become aggressive and referred him to a specialist in Marshfield. On Wednesday, September 6th, we headed to Marshfield for a CT scan and a visit with the specialist. The doctor decided to do a biopsy and it was confirmed the following Friday, that the cancer was back and had gone into his ear. Marshfield staff did not feel comfortable doing the surgery and referred Dayle to UW Madison Hospital. On Monday, September 11th, we headed for Madison for a hearing test and an appointment with a surgeon. The previous diagnosis was confirmed and treatment options were presented. The choice was made to have surgery. Because of the position of the cancer, the surgery will be very delicate and difficult. The staff will be taking layers of Dayle's ear out to be tested during surgery and the depth and scope of the surgery will be determined by how deep the cancer has gone. There is a spit gland that appears to be affected, so that will be removed and the lymph nodes located near it will be tested. It does not appear to have invaded the inner ear, so his balance and inner ear hearing should be unaffected. However, he may come out of surgery with a partial ear or no ear at all. The surgery will be on Friday, September 22nd starting at 7:30am and lasting 8-10 hours. Two doctors will perform the procedure. It is rare, only about 5-6 cases done per year. He will probably have skin grafting from his arm or leg to replace the sections taken out. A prosthetic ear and hearing aid may be added later. At this point, the doctor feels no additional treatment will be needed, but the results of the surgery will determine that. The nurse had said he would probably be in the hospital for about 5 days.
This has all happened so quickly and to be honest we feel a bit overwhelmed. We are asking for you to lift Dayle and our family up in prayer. Please pray for minimal surgery to get all of the cancer, for wisdom and skill for the doctors and medical staff, and for comfort, peace and strength for Dayle and all of us and for God's Will to be Done. We have a strong faith that God has a plan and is in control; however, the human side of us feels weak at times. Thank you for all of your love, support and concern. God Bless you all!