Dave Greve

First post: Aug 2, 2019 Latest post: Jan 28, 2020
Dave has not been feeling well for a long time. It all started back in February when he started losing weight. He visited Dr. Markham and he said that it was just his diabetic medicine. As time went on, he continued to lose a lot of weight (between April and now he has lost approximately 50 pounds). As time went on, he scooped beans in the middle of June and injured his shoulder. He went the chiropractor for a treatment and physical therapy for dry needling. These treatments didn’t work, but we had vacation kept ice and heat on it throughout the week. When we returned from vacation at the end of June, he had a diabetic appointment set up previously with Dr. Markham so he decided to talk him about his shoulder pain. Dr. Markham said it was tendonitis and gave him a cortisone shot in the shoulder. The next morning, he rolled out of bed with back pain. This lead to another chiropractor treatment along ice and heat. A couple days later his knee swelled up (this has been an issue since high school and a candidate for a full knee replacement). We ended up in the emergency room with Dr. Brelje. He x-rayed his back and shoulder which only showed arthritis. Dr. Brelje gave him a general cortisone shot which didn’t help. A couple days later, we headed Nebraska Ortho for his knee in order to get him in quickly. The doctor x-rayed his knee which only showed arthritis. He gave him another cortisone shot in his knee. We finally went back to Dr. Markham because nothing was working. They drew blood and the test showed that his RA factors were high. He referred him to a Rheumatologist along with prescribing him a Prednisone Regimen for 12 days. The Prednisone worked for a few days, but his pain came back. We called the Rheumatologist and cannot get in until October. Dr. Markham also ordered a CT scan due to a lot of diarrhea. The CT scan showed a shadow on the kidney so the doctor ordered an MRI. This showed a mass on his left kidney. We made an appointment to a Urologist and we got in right away. The Urologist wants to do a biopsy of the left kidney mass to see what we are dealing with. They are working on getting the biopsy set up hopefully within the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, we took him to Miller Orthopedics to Dr. LaRose for a second opinion on his knee. He extracted fluid which was cloudy. He sent it in for testing to see if it was infection or Gout. We went back for a consult with Dr. LaRose, and it was infection. He wanted to do surgery right away to clean out the infection. This leads us up to today where Dave is in the hospital recovering from his surgery in Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs. 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Dave’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register