Craig Jennings

First post: Feb 19, 2017 Latest post: Aug 17, 2017
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement thus far. 

From Carter:

  This past Friday night (2/17/17), I got a call from my mom that dad had fallen down the basement steps. She immediately called 911 (luckily she was in the kitchen and heard it as soon as it happened) and EMS arrived a little after 10:30 pm. At the house, his blood pressure was extremely high, he was nonverbal,  and they were worried about a facial droop so they decided to take him to Johnston Willis Hospital. Once he arrived at the hospital, he was immediately taken for a head CT and then they let my mom and I back to see him. Unfortunately, he had fractured his skull and had a large left epidural hematoma and a somewhat smaller right subdural hematoma with a midline shift from the left to the right. The neurosurgeon was quick to arrive and it wasn't long before he was having his first craniotomy. They decided to take care of the left subdural hematoma first since it was the largest and then monitor the one on the right. He was finally put in a room on the neuroscience ICU around 6am Saturday morning and we were all able to see him shortly after that. 

  After being up all night, we all went home to sleep for a little while and regroup. Around 11am, the doctor called with news that a CT they did that morning (post-op) showed increased bleeding from the right epidural hematoma and now a midline shift from the right to the left and he wanted to do craniotomy on the right side. He was brought back to the neuro ICU after his right craniotomy and I stayed in the ICU with him overnight where they weaned him off sedation (still on the breathing tube)  to get a baseline mental status. By 7am, he was withdrawing from pain where he was previously just opening his eyes. He developed a fever overnight that wasn't controlled with Tylenol and ice packs so they had to put him on a cooling blanket. A repeat head CT on Sunday morning showed the right subdural hematoma was essentially resolved but the left epidural hematoma had gotten slightly bigger since yesterday. His surgeon thinks the drain coming from the left said may be clotted somewhere but doesn't want to go in and look at this point. 

 On Sunday afternoon, they did a repeat head CT which showed no change 🙏🏼 Unfortunately, they did have to turn his sedation back on this morning because he was starting to bite his breathing  tube and was shivering from being on the cooling blanket. Really not much more to do at this point but watch and wait. 

  We will do our best to keep this page updated as much as possible.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Craig’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register