Chuck Shaw

First post: Jan 17, 2019 Latest post: Jan 25, 2019
Bear with my spelling and run on sentences.  On 1/16 at around 3AM Chuck had a heart attack while in his Semi in Hendersonville North Carolina.  Being Chuck, he refused an ambulance and made Patty call a CAB... yes a cab... to drive him to the ER.  They had been stuck in South Carolina for over a week with a broken down new truck.  After sinking $10,000 into the truck it only made it about 100 miles into NC and shut down.  Completely.  Needless to say it had been a very stressful week for both Chuck and Patty and they just wanted to get home.   Then he had a heart attack.  He is currently in Asheville, NC in Mission Hospital at the Heart / Chest Pain Center.  After being admitted to the first hospital it was determined he was having a heart attack and he needed a 4-5 bypass surgery and was transferred to where we currently are.  I, Charity Chucks daughter, got the fastest flight to NC possible and am here with my parents.  Once Chuck was admitted here in Mission Hospital a mass was also found on his heart that is pushing blood flow into his lungs.  Doctors spent a day doing tests and determining what they were going to do about all my dads issues before scheduling surgery.  It is now 9:34 Eastern time and my dad is in Surgery Prep.  The plan at this point is to unblock all his arteries and hopefully remove the mass.  We were told to expect 8-10 hours waiting time before he will be done in recovery and we can see him.  We will do our best to keep this site updated.  We appreciate all the texts and calls but it's too hard to keep up with all of them.

For those that have asked.  Patty and Charity are staying at a place called Mission Rathbun House that provides free housing for out of town folks in situations like ours.  We can remain here until my dad is discharged.   Our plan at this point is to take one day at a time and then figure out how to get Chuck home.  Charity rented a minivan in hopes we can load him up and make a slow and steady drive home to MN.  The doctor said No flying home and is recommending he be medically transported back to MN as a safety precaution.  All of these details will be determined by what happens today in surgery and his recovery process.

Thant's all I have for now.  I will update this site as we get updates from the staff here in the waiting room.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Chuck’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register