Chip Montgomery

First post: Aug 28, 2020 Latest post: Jan 30, 2021
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support, prayers, and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.

In Nov 2019 we learned prostate cancer reared its ugly head again for Chip. We'd been diagnosed in 2010 and through guidance of our Lord, ended up with a naturepathic doctor. Through prayers, anointing by our church elders, and natural means, the diagnosis was reversed after 18 months. Chip was never sick, never lost a day of work as a physical therapist, and was glad to share his testimony to anyone who would listen.

After many years of good health, the stresses of work, frustrations of life, and sense of duty to his family and community to provide and protect as man of the house and reserve sheriff deputy conspired to allow cancer to regrow. While knowing the natural means is extremely effective, he didn't have the stamina to endure it. So he started the first of an intended six rounds of chemo on December 20th, 2019. He came home after that and had a stroke.

After a week in the hospital, he chose to go home on hospice. Family, friends, church family, neighbors, hospital staff, and even strangers rallied around us and supported us through the days that followed. We prepared as best we could for the end to come, but the Lord had other plans. Weeks passed and he began to recover. He regained his appetite, started sitting, standing, and then walking. His left side, which had been affected by the stroke, was still weaker but regained some strength the more he walked. He got up to walking a total of four miles a day and became a regular around our block with our many neighbors. It was a miracle. Hospice  even had difficulty recertifying him for their care because he was doing so well.

There was even more good news. In early summer, he had his ureter stents replaced and the urologist was able to get a larger catheter in than before, and had no trouble at all with the surgery, which was a sign that something was different. After getting diagnostic tests to determine where he was at, we learned that the main tumor had shrunk by 7.5 cm and pulled away from his colon. Spots elsewhere were gone, but others had come up. We decided to switch to home health to continue chemo.

August 13th, 2020 he had chemo. For a few days, he was okay other than nausea (despite anti-nausea meds) and dehydration. He just couldn't get the fluids in to flush the chemo out (it needs to flush out within 48 hours) and ended up having two strokes and a seizure on his birthday, August 15th. Due to COVID-19 precautions, we couldn't even go with him to the hospital. He had a minor heart attack and was vomiting blood.

Since then, through the prayers of many, and whatever the Lord's plan is, he is still here, and his stats are balancing out. His brain was massively affected by both strokes and the doctors don't believe the scar tissue will heal to allow for his recovery of talking, communicating, and walking. We acknowledge the difficulty and the potential of non-recovery. But we believe that God can heal all things and wherever this journey takes us, we know that He is good.