Can you support CaringBridge during our Fall giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Casimir T Koziara
Sep 4, 2018 Latest post:
Sep 12, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
As many know, Cass has Acute Myeloma Leukemia. He has been so very tired for so long and we thought it was his heart, that he needed a new stent, Boy were we wrong. Our Internist suggested we follow up with our cancer and kidney doctor whom we had been seeing for several years because of a high amount of protein in his urine. We went to the blood doctor and Cass was given several vitamin B12 shots to see if it would help his energy. No go,...a bone marrow biopsy was done a second time within a couple months and we anxiously awaited results. Our dr being on vacation told us we would go over the results when he got back on the 31st of August unless there was a problem. A few days later we get a call that the doctor partnering with dr Adoo wanted to see us right away. Within 2 days we were in the office and were told about this acute myeloma leukemia. Shocked as we both were we had many questions after we left the office (of course). We saw our doctor a few days later and we were told to go directly to the hospital.
Our first day in the emergency xrays were taken and a spot on the right middle lung was found. He had blood tests, a chest X-ray and started on antibiotics etc. RBC, WBC and platelets were very low so he was started on platelets. The lung dr saw a spot on his right middle lung so a bronchoscopy is scheduled tomorrow 9/3 to see if spot is fungal or bacterial or possibly even valley fever.
His hemoglobin fell under 8 today which should be over 8, we found out he was low in potassium so that was started. He was taken for a renal/ aorta ultra sound of kidneys and bladder. He has had so much blood drawn from his portal along with the chemo he had a week ago he has no appetite, We wear masks when we go into the room and cannot touch him☹️ They started a transfusion of O blood on him but his fever rose and his bp went higher so rpthey stopped that to see why it is not agreeing with him.
His kidney function has gone down some from 40’s to 35 which is not a good sign either. Cass will be in the hospital for at least 2-3 weeks we’ve been told. His bronchoscopy will take from 2 days to 2 weeks to find an answer in the lungs.
I know I’ve probably jumped up and all around in the last 3 days but so much unexpected has happened. His next chemo is expected to be September 21 as far as we know. Please keep him in your prayers. I will be glad to answer any questions you have if I can. Comments are welcome.