Carter H. S. Boughton

First post: Feb 6, 2012 Latest post: Nov 12, 2020
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We've created it to keep friends and family updated about little Carter. Get started by reading the introduction to our website, "My Story."

Visit often!! Read the latest journal entries, visit the photo gallery, and walk with us  - it's a marathon and we are beside Carter every step of the way.  Please write us a note... or many notes in our guestbook.

Please keep our family, especially our children, Carter and Clayton in your thoughts and prayers. Your love and prayers are felt through the miles and are greatly appreciated.  No amount of distance can separate your heart from ours.... 

Carter Harris Spielman Boughton entered this world on January 28 at 10:52 a.m. Carter was born 7# 4 oz. and 20 inches.  Shortly after birth Carter's first miracle became known.  While delivering the placenta, the doctor realized that the umbilical cord, which is usually attached directly to the placenta was attached to a water sack along side the placenta. This water sack was attached by blood vessels that generally would rupture during birth, making a successful delivery near impossible.  Our Doctor had only seen this one other time in his career.  These blood vessels did not rupture during birth and Carter came through with flying colors.  Due to this complication, however, Mom began losing quite a bit of blood and thanks to our Doctor, a wonderful nursing staff and a blood transfusion, made a quick recovery.    
    We were able to spend the next days with our precious new son at the Monroe Clinic, preparing for the days ahead at home in Galena.  By all accounts he looked very healthy, was nursing like a pro, and vitals were all checking out. We are grateful looking back on these peaceful first moments together.
    Carter is a beautiful boy with the soft features of his big brother. Carter is the dark and handsome younger brother of Clayton Richard and Madisyn. He has dark hair and deep charcoal eyes.    
    Little brother was able to spend a few precious moments with Clayton the day before we were to leave the hospital.  Clayton was a very proud big brother - was quick with hugs and an offering of M&M's.  Carter received a very sweet eskimo kiss before big brother left.  Carter has yet to meet Madisyn due to the hectic events that occurred before we were set to leave for home from Monroe Clinic.  
    As we were packed to leave - Dr. Kamil Sayegh, the pediatrician tasked with Carter's discharge with a clean bill of health, noticed a heart murmur that concerned him.  Upon ordering a precautionary eco cardio gram he decided that Carter had Truncus Arteriousus, a serious heart condition that needed immediate attention. That was Miracle number two.  Every Doctor we have seen since has commented on the fine work of Dr. Sayegh.  Our return home was now delayed.  The Cheta unit from UW Madison was rushed down to transport Carter to the Children's Pediatric Cardiac ICU.  We are grateful to Dr. Sayegh, without his expertise this would already be a different story. 
    After much testing the Dr.'s and surgeons in Madison were able to decipher Carter's condition.  In a very compassionate and honest meeting between doctors and family it was suggested that to receive the absolute best care available Carter needed to go to the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (CHOW) located in Milwaukee. Overnight we received news that CHOW would accept Carter as a patient and the Cheta unit transported Carter to Milwaukee at 8 a.m.  
    Arriving in Milwaukee, we realized that we were in the only available room out of 24 rooms.  Miracle number three.  We have been treated with compassion and respect by a wonderful staff at the Children's Hospital.  Various sources have assured us that Carter is in The Best of hands. This Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, it's surgeons, and staff, are known throughout the country as the best of the best.  They are the right people to observe, diagnose, and prepare Carter for the marathon ahead.  They also will be with him throughout his long recovery after surgery.
    Carter's official diagnose is Truncus arteriosus, Interrupted Aortic Arch, and a Truncal Valve Insufficiency.  Highly skilled hands can repair all of these conditions, and will attempt to do so in a one day surgery.  Collectively all of these issues make for an uphill battle for our little warrior.  

   There is great hope, and great faith which is lighting our way.  Carter is surrounded by a VERY loving and supportive family...there are no words to adequately express this enough.  We are grateful for the outpouring of love from friends and family.  Please keep sending your prayers upward towards the heavens... this is a very overwhelming trial in our lives, and are dealing with it one moment at a time.  We are committed to helping Carter through this marathon one day at a time... and we Believe in our little Miracle.