Join CaringBridge during this most important time of the year. Your support means that we can continue to provide free, secure websites all year long.
7/25/2017 Latest post:
Welcome to Carolyn's CaringBridge website. While Carolyn's health issue is a temporary one, we are using it to keep family and friends updated on her surgery and recovery. For those who are just now learning about Carolyn's upcoming brain surgery, here's a little background which lead to this point in time..... In March 2017, Carolyn began experiencing headaches which resembled "brain freeze". She attributed these headaches to stress and being overly busy. Come May, the headaches became more intense and she began to have moments where she would uncontrollably stumble forward. While we'd like to think she was inventing the latest dance craze, it was time for an MRI. An early June MRI yieleded abnormal results as it revealed a small "mass" smack in the middle of her brain. This "mass" - at this point - is either a small tumor or a tangled web of veins, arteries, and capillaries. Whatever it is, it's preventing fluid from being drained. She has a wonderful brain surgeon named Dr. Nwagwu who is confident that brain surgery is necessary and will return Carolyn back to full health. This week (most likely on Tuesday, 7/25/17), Carolyn will undergo surgery at Mission Hospital. During the surgery (expected to be approximately three hours), either a stint will be inserted to help with the drainage OR, if it's indeed a tumor, it will be "zapped" with a gamma knife. If it is a tumor, the doctor is confident that it is benign since it's in the center of the brain. Carolyn is going into this surgery with hope for a full & speedy recovery, with a “Let’s Do This” attitude, with trust that she is in the hands of the best doctor for the job, and, more than anything, with EXTREME faith in God knowing that He is the Almighty Doctor and is with her every step of the way. She will most likely remain at Mission Hospital for 2-3 days, then home to continue her recovery for 1-2 weeks more. She WILL make a full, 100% recovery! You might have some questions at this point... perhaps you're thinking, "How can I help?" or "What can I pray for?" Here are the answers: more than ANYTHING... Carolyn would LOVE LOVE LOVE to receive notes & cards from her many – and I mean MANY - fans. If you are so inclined, please see her address below and mail or hand-deliver your sentiments. (If you deliver, please know that you can tell the guard gate at Dove Canyon that you are delivering something to The Bien’s and they will let you through. A basket is on her porch for your note). As for prayers... Carolyn is a BIG believer in the power of prayer. Specifically, she asks for and appreciates your prayers for the following:
- For Dr. Nwagwu… that he will have God-given wisdom, clarity and be guided perfectly by the Holy Spirit during the surgery
- For every staff member at Mission who will cross Carolyn’s path – that they may act with knowledge, peace and love, also guided by the Holy Spirit.
- For Carolyn – that her nerves will be calm leading to the surgery, that she will place all of her fears and anxiety in the hands of the Lord, and that her body will be fully prepared for the surgery and recovery.
- For Chuck, her husband & best friend – that he will find comfort and strength knowing that Carolyn is in the best of hands, that he will have strength, energy, rest and peace during this whole journey, especially during the hours of the surgery.
- For Carolyn’s whole family – that they may grow closer and live out the meaning of family which is so important to her and that everyone will see, feel and experience the good that God will bring from this challenge.
Prior to and after the surgery, Carolyn will be focusing on herself… for once in her life. In lieu of calls and texts, please post on this site and/or send a note to her. She’s already looking forward to them!
For anyone wanting to bring a meal or such, please contact her daughter, Alexis @ 949.433.1512.
Carolyn and her family appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement beyond belief. We will update again once the surgery date is confirmed and again after surgery. Thank you!