Hi everyone! As you all know, Mom has a severely leaking mitral valve in her heart. She has surgery scheduled for Wednesday, May 17th to repair (or if that's not possible replace) the valve. Mom's surgery is complicated by a congenital malignant analmous left coronary artery. The surgeon has assured us he will not attempt to repair the artery with bypass during her valve surgery. Mom has previously had consults at Piedmont, Emory, and the Mayo Clinic regarding her congenital defect due to its rare nature, all of whom agreed it was best to leave well enough alone and not attempt to repair it. Please pray her valve surgeon holds true to his word that he will not attempt a bypass. At previous appointments he seemed very eager to perform the surgery.
Mom will be in the hospital for approximately 8 days, the first few days will be in ICU, but after that time she can have a limited number of visitors. (One of which will likely be Bonnie who I'm instructed to sneak in in a purse ;) I will keep everyone updated on the day of her surgery and as her recovery progresses.