Oct 16, 2020 Latest post:
Jun 26, 2021
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
On September 3, 2020, Bryce was diagnosed with congestive heart failure(CHF), Cardiomegaly(enlarged heart) and, 2 weeks later, Endocarditis(infection on the heart valves) . His heart function is less than 15%. Normal is 65%. He started out in Indiana at Community Sourh Hospital and then transferred to Community Heart and Vascular Hospital 6 days later. He was discharged on September 14th. Bryce decided that it would be best if he left Indiana and he moved in with me in Ohio. On September 16th, Bryce was admitted to Kettering Medical Center with low blood pressure, abdominal pain and overall feeling bad. This when he was diagnosed with Endocarditis. On September 18th, it was decided to transfer him to OSU(Ohio State University) Heart Hospital, 72 miles away. They felt that Bryce's case was too complex to be handled at the local hospital. And woukind be suited at OSU. At that time his BP was 70/28 and in cardiogenic shock. which was funny since he was still alert and talkative. Bryce remained at OSU until September 30th. at that time he was discharged on 11 different medications including 2 IV antibiotics that he will need until October 31th. He had PICC line placed to give the antibiotics. He was wearing life vest which is able to detect abnormal heart rhythms and can shock him if necessary. It is a bit heavy and he feels constricted in it. He is also on a low sodium diet and fluid restriction of 2 liters a day. He has more issues with the fluids than the sodium restriction. We have home care coming out twice a week for labs and dressing change for the PICC. After his discharge, Bryce did well for awhile. He got a much needed haircut and a shave! He got established with a PCP and even made a short trip to the Air Force Museum. He has a brief ER visit to Kettering because we thought his PICC was infected but, after 8 hours,they daind it was fine but they wanted to transfer him back to OSU for abnormal labs. His sodium was low and his liver functions were very high. Bryce refused and we spent several days at home. The doctors at OSU decided we would monitor at home, for now. On October 10th, Bryce was feeling bad again. His urine output was low despite being on medication that makes him pee. He was more short of breath, having joint pain and charlie horses; just uncomfortable. He wanted to go back. So, we drove back to OSU and he was admitted through the ER. The next day, he broke out in a rash on his back and chest. Not sure if it was a drug reaction or some other infection. On October 12th, he was diagnosed with Mono! This explained the extreme fatigue, joint pain, rash, and worsening liver function . October 15th, Bryce is starting to feel better. He is back on lasix drip and Dobutamine drip. This is helping with increasing his heart function and getting off of excess fluids. His antibiotics have been changed. He labs are slowly improving.. He is still very tired but was awake the whole time I visited today. Due to Covid restrictions, visiting hours are very strict. 1 person per day from 2pm to 7pm . I visit every day so that I can talk with doctors. Luckily, my employer is very flexible with me and I am able to either flex my hours or work half days remotely. Bryce has a long road ahead of him. He won't qualify to be placed on the heart transplant list for 6 months and he can't have an infection. Then, there will be the wait.