Brad Young

First post: May 10, 2021 Latest post: May 5, 2022
Hello everyone. Thank you so much for joining us on Brad's journey.  Some of you are aware that Brad has been mildly struggling with some speech issues for the last 6-8 weeks.  Don't feel bad if you talk to him all the time and never noticed, it hasn't been that obvious.  The speech combined with some continuing headaches, again, not extreme, but ranging from very painful to mildly throbbing, he decided to get it checked out.  On April 19th our family Dr. examined Brad and saw horses, not zebras as the phrase goes.  Based on Brad's overall good health and perfect bloodwork and vitals, she wasn't concerned, but gave Brad the info to contact our local neurologist. The neurologist agreed with our family doc, and didn't schedule an appointment.  We were still concerned, but not really worried, so he went to see his Allergist on May 3rd.  Brad has a relationship with this office from past allergy and asthma issues, but hadn't seen them in over 2 years as his health has been fantastic and there was no need.  Brad told them his symptoms, and in fact had some mild speech issues with the medical professionals there, so they said let's just skip the neurologist and we'll send you for an MRI ourselves.

Thinking maybe we were dealing with an extreme sinus infection, Brad went for a regular MRI of his head on Wednesday, May 5th at 7:00am.  Before 8:00am, Brad texted me that he was still waiting for a copy of his scan, and immediately after called me and said the imaging location wouldn't let him drive, and that he had to get a ride to the allergist office right away.  We walked into the allergist office and were immediately ushered into a room.  The PA came in right away and told us the radiologist's initial findings-that Brad has a 5cm mass on the left side of his brain that is likely cancer.

Things sped up after that.  The Allergist coordinated care with the local neuro, who immediately agreed with the initial assessment and contacted the neurosurgical oncologist, who called us within 15 minutes.  Dr. Kalil Abdullah had us go to UTSW that same day for additional tests.

On Thursday, May 6th, at 7:15am Dr. Abdullah gave us the news that no one ever wants to hear.  Brad has glioblastoma, brain cancer.  A large tumor, around the size of a golf ball, is in his left temporal lobe.  We check in to the hospital Monday, May 10th at 4pm, surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11th at noon.  The Dr. plans on operating while Brad is awake (!) to ensure that his speech processing remains in tact while they remove the tumor.  Brad should be in the hospital for 2-3 days, and start chemo and radiation within a month after surgery.

We thank everyone for all the well wishes and prayers, it means so much to Brad and our family to know that we have such a support system surrounding us during this journey.  We will update everyone as we know more.