Can you support CaringBridge during our March campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Sep 7, 2016 Latest post:
Sep 15, 2016
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
About 2 years ago Blake was diagnosed with Plumonary Fibriosis which they believe is associated with his RA. This is a terminal illness if a lung transplant is not obtained. Blake has done very well until about 2 months ago. He was leading a somewhat normal life and not relying on continuous oxygen. The first danger sign that the illness had taken over was late June 2016. He started to have increased shortness of breath and showing signs of losing the ability to move mountains ( literally and figuratively). This August 5th Blake finally agreed to go to the emergency room as he had been experiencing chest pain. Sure enough we were admitted to Fort Walton Beach Medical Center where we spent 4 nights as they found 2 total blockages in the LAD of the heart. A stent was placed. He shed a tear as he 'felt' he could breathe. What a relief it was to find the blockage before it found him. So home we went with hope that the decline was over. After a few days home we were back at the emergency room with increased difficulty breathing. Blake was requiring more and more oxygen to maintain a healthy level. We were once again admitted. The doctors were realizing that the need for the transplant was getting more urgent. So a hospital to hospital transfer was done to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida where we spent a few short days as they were unable to help us. Back to Fort Walton Beach Medical Center we went as they it was too soon to remove him from the blood thinners as he just received the stent and would be required to be on the thinners for at least 6 months to a year post placement and a transplant impossible while on them. So after a huge disappointment we are required to wait. After struggling to get the oxygen he now required at home.......home we went. This time we lasted about 2 weeks and we are now back in the hospital. Unfortunately we almost lost him and they were forced to put him on a ventilator. We are currently in ICU making a game plan moving forward.