Bill Stumpf | CaringBridge

Bill Stumpf

First post: Jan 9, 2018 Latest post: Apr 7, 2018
Friends and family--Many of you know that Bill is at the U of M now and in critical condition waiting for heart valve replacement… We’re needing to wait for the infection to clear before that happens…  I’ve tried to keep friends up with calls, texts and emails but is getting challenging so am starting this Caring Bridge site to better update you on his progression. Please forward in case I've missed anyone.

As of now, Bill cannot have visitors, but we do give him your message! We will let you know as soon as he can because he would want to see each and everyone of you! Thank you for your support, thoughts and prayers!

It started on the night of Dec 31, he and I were at Lex and Jimmies with Jeanette and Steve. He wasn’t feeling well so he went home. We thought he had the flu from which Dylan had the weekend before. Sunday he laid low watching the Vikings/Packers game. We still hadn’t celebrated our family Christmas and we’re going to do that on New Year’s Day. Bill texted me in the morning said he was still sick so no Christmas. I spoke with him and he sounded fine but didn’t want to talk. Dylan called him later in the day and he was confusing with his speech. So he and I immediately went to his house and after seeing him called 911… and started from there... I'm not sure if the dates below are all correct, it's been a blur!

He was rushed to North Memorial on the night of New Year’s Day… below are updates from that.

His sister Jan and her husband Mike are here staying at Bill’s house. And his sister from Fond du Lac, Wisc., came and stayed with me last weekend.

Monday, New Year's Day
Admitted at North Memorial-- He had a 105.6 temp and infections throughout his body. They did test after test eliminating meningitis and other diseases. Bill was sedated but able to talk a bit… 

Tuesday, Jan 2
He has two types of blood infections… one is an infection in the blood (Sepsis) the other is dispersing the infection in his body (MSSA). He is holding a fever and still gets confused, but even that has improved. Today they’re waiting to do an MRI and a TEE test but not sure he can be still enough for either. These tests will determine what the infection has hit.

So many friends and family praying for him… I did convey all messages to him and he said “say thank you.” 

Tests on Jan 3

Bill had the two tests yesterday and neither was good…. Jan (Bills’s sister) summarized it pretty good  …

Here’s from his first test (TEE)
His valve is infected. Cardiologist said that somehow bacteria got in his system and because his valve is not healthy bacteria got caught in a part of that valve which pieces of the bacteria got into his bloodstream and got into his kidneys his pancreas, stomach and possibly in his brain. Now they’re doing an MRI so they can see if any of these fragments are anywhere on his brain and that’s causing the confusion The doctor felt confident that if there were bacteria on the brain that it would be repairable. At this time they feel confident that the antibiotics are working. Now we are waiting for him to go down for the MRI. 

They did say he will have to have his valve replaced. Which eventually heart surgery again. 

 And this is from the MRI:
Well the MRI came back and it’s not the best news. The MSSA is the type of bacteria that was in Bills heart valve. The particals of bacteria that went into his blood stream and infected the blood that is referred as sepsis. Well the blood infected not only his kidneys, but his liver and pancreas. They aren’t terribly concerned about those organs right now. The MRI showed that this bacteria did go thru the vessels of his brain causing blockage so basically Bill had a couple strokes on his left side. They don’t know if he will have more strokes or not. They don’t know when he had these or the exact number. We have to wait until the neurologist looks everything over. He is on the respirator because of the testing he had done today and they plan on weaning him off it tomorrow morning. At this point the confusion and speech they do not know if it related to the strokes or his fever.

 The cardiologist and his nurse said they are going to keep the ventilator (from his tests yesterday) in and they are planning on transporting him to UofM hospital. The valve he has right now needs to be replaced and what they want to replace it with they don’t handle at this hospital so they will move him there. They are monitoring the spot on his brain by doing CT scans. They did say that that area can repair itself. So that is good news.

Friday, Jan 5 he was moved to U of M Hospital

Saturday and Sunday he had all new doctors and had all new tests.

Jan. 8
Good news! Bill’s angiogram of the brain shows no aneurysms!! So the neurologists are giving the green light from their perspective as far as the brain is concerned!!
More good news...we visited with his dr. And the CT they ran yesterday checking his lungs (as he was needing more oxygen) they did not find any clotting. He actually is doing a bit better today all around from yesterday.
Critical Care doctors were in… his exhaling wasn’t the best, they’re switching up meds and if that doesn’t improve they will sedate him so he’s paralyzed.. only to make him better for the surgery.





CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Bill’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register
SVG_Icons_Back_To_Top
Top