Can you support CaringBridge during our March campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Mar 20, 2017 Latest post:
Jun 22, 2017
Becky, Bill's daughter is writing this information.
This journey begin because Bill/Dad had elevated liver enzymes. They thought maybe medication or gall bladder causing the issue. Medication was ruled out. They performed a sonogram, MRI and CT scan. The CT scan showed a very large mass in his liver, the size of a large orange. March 6, 2017 Bill was told he had liver cancer. M D Anderson was contacted and we were told it would be 10 days to 2 weeks to receive an appt. The angels were watching over him and we were given an appt. for March 13. In the mean time Dr. Morton wanted us to see a liver specialist in Fort Worth. We saw him on March 9, he gave us hope that it could be benign or could be cancer. My Dad left the doctor's office and decided we would keep the appt. with MDA on Monday, March 13. I had the great privilege of driving Dad & Angela to Houston. We saw the first doctor Monday morning and they confirmed it was cancer. The best option would be surgery to remove the mass. We then saw the primary care doctor who also confirmed it was a malignant mass. He wanted to do a CT scan due to their machines being more advanced to see if the mass was to close to a major blood vessel for surgery. Tuesday afternoon we received a call telling us that there were 3 more spots in the liver. They think it is Intrahepatic Cholangiocarcenoma (Bile Duct Cancer). Due to the 3 spots, they now want to perform a biopsy to see what type and stage of cancer. Surgery would allow the cancer to grow so they may want to insert chemo beads directly into the liver to shrink the mass. This way the chemo would not run through his body. If they go this direction, he would have a scan in a couple of months to see if the mass had shrunk and if surgery were possible.
Today is March 16. Dad had his biopsy and is doing great. we will provide an update on Monday, March 20 after we have met with his doctor.