Ben Bailey

First post: Mar 24, 2020 Latest post: Jul 6, 2020
February 26th, as many of you know, Dad had a mitral valve procedure at the Mayo Clinic. Even though the valve was replaced properly, the procedure was a little more than his body could handle, and was placed in the ICU. He quickly recovered and a couple days later he was transferred to a lower level of care. So, improvement right? Blane got in Saturday, Lisa went home on Sunday and Lesli was on deck at home.
March 3rd, Dad was then discharged to home!! We were all thinking this was a success.
March 4th, while he was napping, Blane checked on him and things didn’t seem right. He tried to wake him up, but he was incredibly weak and confused. Blane called the ambulance and they responded very quickly. The team at Glacial Ridge Hospital did an amazing job, however Dad’s body was not responding to their treatment and continued to decline. A decision was made to fly him to a higher level of care at the St. Cloud Hospital.
March 5th, we are back in the ICU on respiratory, kidney and blood pressure support. Less than 24 hours out of the hospital, he was septic! It was a long 3 days, but he began to rally again. He’s off the ventilator, dialysis, and the pressure support.
March 8th, he transferred out of the ICU to the Progressive Care Unit. Even though he struggled with mobilization and his lab values did not leave him with much of a reserve, we continued to move forward. The team made plans for aggressive physical/occupational therapy in a rehab facility.
March 12th, COVID-19 which completely limited everyone’s ability to see him. Lisa cancelled her trip back because the hospital would not let anyone from outside of the state in for visits. Especially someone from Washington state and someone that works in healthcare. We understand the logic, but it doesn’t make it any easier.
March 14th, Lesli was allowed to see him and it was very clear that he was declining. An MRI revealed that he had several little strokes which is common with sepsis and his heart condition. His kidneys were not playing along either. The video chat lightened his spirits, however he went into a complete heart block later that night.
March 17th, St. Patrick’s day we were able to video chat several people, but were limited with time. Those of you that were able to chat with him could clearly see what a struggle he is in.
March 18th, the Maher family released a butterfly in honor of Dad and named him Ben.
March 19th, at 4pm CST Linda organized group prayer for Dad.
March 20th, Lesli was allowed to get into video chat again.
Today, the first day of Spring we are looking forward to a new season. Father Roger blessed Dad with the Sacrament of the Sick.
With all that being said, Dad has a lot of moving parts. When one thing is “fixed” it affects another part and not always for the better. It has been heart breaking with the limited visitation. While we are in uncharted territory, and want nothing more than to have him fully recover, we know that is not realistic. Anything that is posted here we will share. Lastly, thank you everyone for your thoughts, prayers, support and mostly for loving our Dad.