Mom has been diagnosed with Pleural Mesothelioma, asbestos cancer, in one lung lining. It is a terminal cancer which means there is not a cure. It has been a whirlwind this last month because all of this has happened in a matter of WEEKS. There are many questions yet to be answered. We have not been officially informed as to what stage she is in or a defined "estimated" time with us. She has a 2 to 3 "three inch"sized tumors easily seen as well as small tumors inside the "entire lining" of one lung. Unfortunately she has been struggling with symptoms for over a year. Her MD was treating her for everything from asthma to bronchitis to pneumonia to a virus and so on. Her coughing was getting very intense because of more fluid build up in her lungs. Unbeknownst to us, she was spending days at home, in Festus, dealing with this. Majority of the time alone, with dad working, and keeping it to herself thinking it would soon pass. Instead it had become worse. As it is her nature to not want to inconvenience anyone, none of us knew how bad this had become. After insisting she come stay the weekend with us, I decided something had to be done. Humidifiers, vicks, inhalers... other meds her MD gave her was not working. After a couple of nights hearing her cough and being exhausted at 3 and 4 in the morning, I took her to St. Clare ER, here in Fenton. Within an hour, an X-ray was given and the tumors were visible. Immediately a CT scan was given and, of course, they were very concerned with what they saw. (her M.D."s X-ray 27 days earlier was clear!) She was taken to a VERY nice room. She was given excellent care! Medicine was immediately given to quiet her cough and prevent her being so exhausted and allow her to rest. After a week of tests, more scans and blood work, a diagnose was finally made. Considering Pleural Mesothelioma is rare, the doctors wanted to make certain it was the correct call. She had a PET scan and it was determined the cancer had not spread to other organs "at that time". We are currently in a "hold" pattern until it is determined what treatment can be and will be done. Her options were the surgery to remove lung or just the lining, chemo, radiation or a combination of them all. Her oncologist, Dr. Becker, at St. Clare sent her to see a specialist, Dr. Patterson, at Barnes on Friday, Nov. 18th. He will not perform a lung surgery so other options are being considered at this time. We are hopeful the doctors will give us the information needed to move forward. My wish is for her to be relieved of the constant coughing that is from the fluid and tumors irritating the lung lining. It wipes her out. She moves, she coughs, she coughs, she's exhausted. She has been staying with us with occasionally going home for a night or two.
It is best to text, rather call her, if you would like to visit. You are also free to contact me at any time. There are good chunks of time that are best to visit because of her being so tired. My sister, Tammie Hasty, has also been keeping track of information and helping dad out with doctor visits. My brother, Jim Hasty, lives in Iowa but totally surprised mom at the hospital one night. He drove 6 or so hours after work to come see her! It was sooo sweet!!! Love him! Continue to pray for relief from the cough as well as giving doctors the wisdom for the best way to move forward. In the end it IS her decision. I just want her to be given all and correct information/options needed to make one.
Tammie and I will keep updates posted on this site so everyone can keep up with her progress. If you have registered, the site will send an email every time we post. :-) Continue to pray for comfort and peace.