Avery Lang Avery Claire Lang

First post: Jan 17, 2017 Latest post: Jan 27, 2017
It has been a long couple of weeks! On January 3, Avery was diagnosed with an ear infection and was started on amoxicillin. The ear infection resolved, but on Wednesday morning January 11, she broke out in hives. After being on benadryl all day with the hives only worsening, we went in to urgent care that night. They confirmed an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. She received a steroid dose and was sent home with recommendations to follow up if the rash didn't resolve and were placed on antihistamines. 
Fast forward to Sunday, January 15th. at 1:30 in the morning, Avery woke up saying that her leg hurt. She had previously had some joint swelling and pain with her allergic reaction, so she was dosed with Tylenol and send back to bed. She woke up again at 6:30 in the morning and complained of the same left leg pain. Again she received Tylenol and went back to sleep. That morning, we went to church. By the end of the service, she had a pronounced limp on her left side. We went to the grocery store to get some ibuprofen and necessities for the week, and by the end of the grocery trip she was unable to walk on her left leg. 
Once we got home, we gave her some ibuprofen to see if it would resolve the symptoms. There was no relief, and she was unable to straighten her leg. At that point, we headed to Urgent Care. She was assessed, and labs were drawn to rule out septic arthritis. Then we went home to await lab results. Her labwork came back elevated, and we were called to go in to Children's Hospital.
On arriving at Children's, we were admitted to the ER and had x-rays, an ultrasound, and pain medication. Lots and lots of pain medication. And none of it was helping. We were admitted with the plan to do a hip joint aspiration (translation: stick a long needle into the joint to suck out fluid) to see if the joint was infected in the morning. 
Not going to lie, Sunday night was rough. She was so painful she was unable to sleep. We couldn't find a comfortable position for her, and the narcotic pain medication was not helping at all. She was crying and screaming the majority of the night. Nicole was our night nurse, and did an amazing job contacting the surgical team to get better pain control underway. By 4am, Avery had tylenol and toradol on board, and by 4:30 she was asleep.
The next morning, she was still painful. We saw the orthopedic team, and she was taken to surgery at 11:30 for the hip aspiration. On aspiration, the joint fluid was cloudy and the white count was off the charts, so the surgical team went ahead and opened her hip joint to clean out the infection.
Avery returned to her inpatient room from PACU at 2pm, still fretful, tired, and painful. She has a drain in her left hip. We were told that she would be in the hospital at least through Sunday, receiving IV antibiotics and having labwork done periodically to assess her improvement. Room River 3.122 will be our home for awhile, we welcome visitors and any and all well wishes, good thoughts, and prayers on Avery's behalf.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Avery’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register