Aryn Lochen

First post: 1/21/2017 Latest post: 11/7/2017
Thursday, January 12th Aryn twisted his ankle playing on snow hill at recess.  That night mentioned his ankle hurt just before bed not swollen he was just at basketball practice.  He played in his basketball game Friday night after game mentioned his ankle hurt wasn't swollen but had him ice it...cause ice cures everything right!?  Saturday morning his ankle was stiff but not swollen was able to walk on it with a slight limp just thought it was stiff from sleeping and that he twisted it good.  Sat. afternoon he came down with fever and ankle was not my primary concern as he was just lying around on couch or bed walking with limp....thinking it was just stiff from none movement.  Had fever Sunday and Monday. 

Tuesday-fever day 3
Was really complaining of his ankle hurting this morning so called and was able to get in in afternoon. X-rays did not show any fracture (thank goodness) ankle was not swollen.  Dr. wanted boot for support for 1-2weeks and crutches for hopefully only through the weekend and just monitor fever there was nasty virus going around with fever lasting week.

Wednesday- Fever day 4 
Wednesday he spent day at my mom's late afternoon fever spiked to 103-104 (she got him in shower and it went down to 102). I called urgent care we went in had blood tests, chest xray, urine sample etc. White blood count ok (weird cause of fever) CRP test came back high (tests the protein in the blood so he's fighting something) they also cultured his blood...he got an antibiotic shot and 2 1/2 hrs later we were sent home to follow up with regular Dr. Thursday. 

Has not had an appetite at all since Saturday morning. 

Fever day 5 - Thursday 
Saw primary Dr. late morning he was concerned about the soreness of his leg/ankle and it was also now swollen and VERY sensitive/painful to touch ...had another xray... after xray he wanted MRI done....was thinking possible staph infection or cellulitis in the leg or maybe infection in the bone. He was admitted to hospital early afternoon for MRI.  His leg was swollen and red so they were monitoring the redness for cellulitis.
MRI came back as:
"Probable Osteomyelitis" which in English terms means" infection in the bone". Also found out that the blood culture they did the night before in urgent care was growing something.  Ended up being MRSA.

Dr.  met with us after MRI saw the infection in the bone called "Osteomyelitis " at this time no surgery is needed...after initial review did not see any big pockets of fluid just a small amount in the bone that should be able to be cleared up with antibiotics ...they may need to get a bone sample (ouch). Treating with antibiotic and fluids as he was pretty dehydrated. 
He ate decent for supper....chicken strips and mac n cheese.... WOW so good to see him final want to eat!!

Aryn is one Super tough guy he has been a real trooper during this whole ordeal. He's been through so much in 6 days let alone the last 2 1/2 days!
Never would have thought the leg injury and fever were combined! CRAZY....

Friday- Jan. 20
Antibiotics seemed to be working redness down a little from afternoon before.  Things seemed to be on the right track. We then found out the pediatrician on call had emailed a couple of Docs at Mayo Rochester for consult to make sure everything was being done or if something should be change.  They reviewed his file....blood tests, MRI etc.  the specialists in Rochester thought it would be best if he was transferred to have surgery to remove the fluid to have a better chance of getting rid of the infection and a better chance that it is gone along  with the antibiotics so he can get healing faster.  This resulted in Aryn and Janel getting a ride in an ambulance for the first (hopefully last) time.
We arrived in Rochester about 2:30 pm they got him situated and by 4:15pm they were taking him to pre op.  In pre op reality was setting in for Aryn and for first time in this whole ordeal got really emotional which in turn got mom and dad emotional.  Really hard to see you child break down.  Nurse ended up giving him something to relax him while we were waiting that helped tremendously he ended up drifting to sleep so he doesn't even remember going into OR.  At 5:52 surgery started and at 6:53 was complete.  Dr. Larson came out and met with us she pulled off 3 TBLS of fluid that oozed out that was in the "wall or pocket" around the bone and then some more that was in the bone.  They sent the fluid for testing. 
Aryn woke up in post op doing GREAT....no nausea just really drowsy. Got him moved back to room and settled for a night of hourly vitals. He was able to keep ice chips down so then was able to get sips of water as well as orange sherbet....he really like that and ate 3/4 of it! 


Thursday - April 6
Aryn was admitted back to St. Mary's Mayo Rochester for another surgery.  The MRSA ended up not going away after the first surgery/treatment.  The surgeon went in and had to make a larger hole in his leg  to clean out the infection. A wound vac was placed on his leg.


Sunday - April 9
Aryn went back for his 3rd (total) surgery to have his leg washed/cleaned one more time before stitching him up.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Aryn’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register
SVG_Icons_Back_To_Top
Top