Arthur Goodelman

First post: Mar 31, 2022 Latest post: May 14, 2022
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting. This is story of how we got to this point as of March 30th. 

On Saturday March 26th, Arthur began exhibiting odd behaviors including disorientation, weakness and fatigue. That evening, he was transported by ambulance to Northside Hospital in Atlanta. Over the course of the next few hours, the doctors determined he has pneumonia and admitted him.  He was put on antibiotics and was closely monitored. At this time he was running a fever. On Sunday morning, the doctors told Ilene he was doing pretty good and was having a good morning. They thought maybe he could go home on Monday. When she got to the hospital on Sunday afternoon, she found him mostly out of it/unresponsive/sleeping. The doctors added another antiobiotic. On Monday morning, my mom said said that my dad was slightly more with it. We were hoping that would continue to be the case as the day went on. He still had a fever and his oxygen had dropped some so they put him on oxygen and moved him to the pulmonary floor so that he could be monitored more closely by a pulmonologist. A few hours later, a lab report came back indicating Arthur also has Flu A. In looking at his oxygen levels, the doctors put him on high-flow oxygen. Late Monday afternoon, the doctor came into the room and spoke to Ilene about her concern with Arthur's low oxygen levels. That evening, it was determined Arthur needed to be moved to the ICU, sedated, and put on a ventilator to allow his lungs a chance to rest and heal.  Arthur was settled in the ICU by late Monday night. Tuesday morning, the doctor called my mom indicating an x-ray revealed the need for a closer look at his lungs using a scope (camera).  After the procedure was complete, the doctor reported that it went well and he was able to remove some thick, mucus-like matter that was clogging up his airways. The specimen was sent to the lab to be evaluated and we are waiting on results.  As of Wednesday evening, his condition is the same, no worse which we consider a positive thing. Again, we appreciate all of your support, thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery for Arthur. 

We will TRY to post updates on a daily basis. 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Arthur’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register