Anthony/Tony Porreca

First post: Apr 24, 2018 Latest post: Sep 13, 2018
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for visiting.
On January 3, 2018, Tony told me that he must have fallen out of bed as he woke up on the floor with a swollen lip.  During that day he complained about not being able to remember things, including the fact that he had a 10 minute conversation with Carly.  Memories gradually returned over the course of a few days, but Tony complained about some residual cognitive effects such as difficulty with his iPad keyboard and with numbers in general.  Carly and I encouraged him to see his primary physician, who Tony said he had not seen for 6 years or so, as we had concerns about a concussion; Tony did not agree with us.  On February 25, however, his cognitive symptoms were troubling enough that he told me he looked online and though he might have aphasia.  We spoke with a physician through a service called Tele-doc and was strongly urged to go to the Emergency Department.  Tony called his manager to tell him that we were going to the hospital.  During triage at Abington Hospital, Tony dictated a list of symptoms to tell the staff - mild muscle weakness in hands and legs, general weakness, problems with numbers, problems with letter and number sequences, trouble with iPad keyboard (but not desktop keyboard), spatial sense  and eye-hand coordination were off (trouble pouring water, coffee, milk into coffee), more forgetful than usual, headaches for the previous 5-6 days (relieved with aspirin), difficulty writing and following storylines when reading.  A CT scan was done which showed 3 lesions and was followed up by an MRI which indicated surgery.  Because Tony had been taking aspirin for his headaches, surgery was postponed until Thursday March 1.  Tony was in ICU for observation for only a few hours after surgery before returning to the neuro floor where he had been dubbed 'The King of 3W' because of his upbeat attitude and greetings to all who came into his room.  He was discharged on Sunday March 4.  We were informed of his diagnosis on March 13. and treatment began on April 23, both radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks in addition to chemotherapy by capsule 7 days a week.

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Anthony/Tony’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register