Angel Johnson

First post: Mar 20, 2017 Latest post: Mar 27, 2017
My moms story started 18 years ago when she was diagnosed with her first round of cancer. I was 5 months old and she was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer. She went in when for what she thought, was to have a cyst removed from the left side of her neck and it turns out it was the Thyroid cancer that has spread.  A week later she went in to have her Thyroid removed.

Four months later she went into the hospital for about 3-4 days to start Iodine Radiation Pill Treatment. She kept up taking her lifelong daily medication of Synthroid otherwise known as Levothyroxin, kept up with her Endocrinology appointments and blood draws.

When I was just over two years old my mom had to be hospitalized for low calcium levels so she was in for two days with a lovely IV in her hand giving her more medication.

Then my family received another blow, my grandmother, my moms best friend, my best friend, was diagnosed with lung cancer so aggressive that by the time they found it, the cancer had spread throughout her body. When she past away it broke my heart and my mom changed a little bit because a little piece of her heart died with my Grammy. My entire family misses her but she is watching over my mom and all of us every day.

A year later my little sister was born and with all of her health issues my mom is the strongest person I know. She attends every doctor appointment, makes sure all her medication is taken daily nebulizer treatments.

Then my mom was told she had a lump in the remainder of her lymph nodes went in to have those removed. I was 9 and my sister was 2. Again more iodine radiation pill treatment and another bout with this disease. But she did it again, she beat it.

Then it all happened. On February 28, 2017 my mom went in for a routine mammogram and they told her she had to come back in for a biopsy of her breast. We scheduled it for March 8, 2017 and in between that time frame my mom also was told she had early onset lung cancer. But we shortly found out that she received a false positive and didn't have lung cancer.

So on March 9 my mom received a call that she had Micro-Invasive Ductal Carcinoma DCIS Breast Cancer.

We scheduled an appointment with the Breast Surgeon for Monday March 13, 2017. At the appointment we were given all sorts of information, so much so that my mom is still trying to digest it all so to speak. It's a lot to take in.

The doctor said my mom is a very good candidate for a lumpectomy and the cancer is in the breast ducts and he is confident that it's localized. Dr. Baker is amazing and said that my mom will have surgery on Tuesday March 21,2017, she will be in surgery for an hour and will be in recovery for about an hour to an hour and a half. She will then have her recheck on April 3, 2017 and a month

after surgery she will begin radiation treatment 5 days a week for 4-5 weeks.

I will update after surgery with any new news and how mom is doing.

Please send my mom prayers, well wishes, any kind hearted message you'd like her to know she can read all of them on here herself.

Thank you for reading my moms journey.

God Bless you all

Angel, Kylie and Kassie

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Angel’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register