Amy Johns

First post: Apr 14, 2017 Latest post: Jun 28, 2017
On Sunday, April 9th Amy was complaining of some back pain. She and her husband Peter thought it was from holding their newly adopted son Weston.

The pain spread to her stomach and side on Monday, April 10th. The doctor's thought it was kidney stones and they were right on the diagnosis. She had 2 stones one of which was 5mm in size which is considered a large stone. The pain proceeded to get worse as the day went on.

Tuesday, April 11th the pain was unbearable and she was rushed to the hospital by her husband. She had a fever of 102.9 when she checked in, and the doctors were concerned about a possible infection. The urologist told Amy that she would need a stint put in to help drain the fluid that was behind the stone which was causing an infection. After the surgery, Amy was put into the ICU for recovery, and was put into a drug induced coma. She was not recovering the way the doctors had thought she would. Amy's blood pressure was extremely low and the doctors could not get it up to where it should be, and her kidneys were not working properly.

On Wednesday, April 12th they moved her to a hospital in Minneapolis where there were machines that could help her that were not in the original hospital. Upon arrival at the hospital one of the doctors came over and was telling her husband and sister that she may not make it. She was eventually put on a heart lung machine to help steady her breathing and to help her with her blood pressure. The doctors also put her on a dialysis machine to help clean her blood of the acid and bacteria that built up and spread to all of her major organs. At one point the doctors thought Amy had a blood clot in her lung, but later ruled that out. She was however diagnosed with E. Coli. which the doctors believe she may have gotten from the implant of the stint. As the day went on she was moved around the hospital to different floors for different treatments. She ended up in the Cardiovascular ICU. The doctor's that night allowed family members to visit her, and mentioned that they were cautiously optimistic.

On Thursday, April 13th the doctor gave some encouraging news. The doctors said she has improved a little, but still has a tough road ahead of her. Family was able to visit her again and everyone was saying that she looks much better than yesterday. The doctors took her off of the paralyzing drugs and when family members were talking to her she would squeeze hands and try and do some facial gestures. Peter told her about the Jordan school staff wearing pink and red today in honor of her designated heart signature, and Amy squeezed his hand and made a facial feature (you know the one when she says, "oh my little heart". Today was a better day, but we know that there is a long tough road ahead.

We believe that the prayers are working and we ask for continued prayers. 

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Amy’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register