Alyssa Weber

First post: Dec 21, 2018 Latest post: Jan 9, 2019
Welcome to our CaringBridge website. We are using it to keep family and friends updated in one place. We appreciate your prayers, support and words of hope and encouragement. Thank you for your love for Alyssa and visiting.

Alyssa was shopping and fell and hit her head on Tuesday evening. She lost consciousness and stopped breathing. Two angels nurses were in the store and began CPR. After 82 compressions, Alyssa took a breath. The ambulance arrived and took Alyssa to the emergency room at Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City. Alyssa called me (mom-Lori) from the ER to let me know she had fallen and been taken to the ER. Shortly after she called, Alyssa lost consciousness again and had to be intubated. The ER doctor was called and ordered a CT scan. The CT scan revealed a significant skull fracture and a brain bleed. The patient advocate and trauma nurse called us and told us Alyssa was critical and to get to the hospital right away. We booked the next flight out of Florida and called our family in Oklahoma who all rushed up to the hospital. They are all rock stars like that. 

The neurosurgeon had just come out of a meeting and "just happened" to be five minutes away (we know God's provision orchestrated every step of Alyssa's care). He saw the CT scan images and immediately went to surgery. He performed a craniotomy on the right side, removing a horseshoe shaped piece of bone and a 2" blood clot, and tended to torn blood vessels outside the brain. There was substantial bleeding between the brain and the skull that pushed the brain to the left. He stapled everything back up, leaving a drain line in her head. Alyssa was transferred to ICU where they kept her sedated and on a ventilator and placed a port in her neck. The doctor told us the next 24 hours would be touch and go.

Wednesday morning, they took more scans and the neurosurgeon was very pleased at her progress in such a short time. The brain had moved back into the correct position. Alyssa was able to wiggle her toes and squeeze the neurosurgeon's hand on command. Praise God! They began to bring Alyssa out of sedation. Later in the day she began breathing better on her own and they were able to remove the intubation tube and take her off the ventilator. Her blood pressure was very low and was treated with medication. She began running a fever and they ran a standard sepsis protocol taking cultures and administering medication. We are still waiting for those results. Alyssa slept most of the day Wednesday.

This morning, Thursday, Alyssa was very alert and wants to eat and drink. She even told her Meema that she needed her favorite...mashed potatoes...because after all, she just had a head injury! Good to see her a little spunky!  Scott was able to talk to her and explain everything that happened. She was able to eat after passing a swallowing test. Her blood pressure is getting better. She still has a fever and she is excreting more fluid than she is taking in. They are boosting her fluids and we are hopeful that will regulate soon as well. Physical & Occupational therapists came in today to have her stand up for the first time and take a few steps. She was able to walk slowly. Her left leg is dragging a little bit and her left side is not as strong as the right. The right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, so we are hopeful that with time, God's healing touch and therapy, she'll be running soon. They have come today to do an ultrasound of her heart and she is currently getting an EEG. We are so grateful for the outstanding care she is receiving here.

We will update this site periodically to let you know how she is doing and how you can pray for her. As far as how long she will be in intensive care and in the hospital, we have no idea and neither do her caregivers. It is in God's hands and we are taking it one day at a time. 

Please join us in praising God for her remarkable progress so far! For only less than 48 hours after a craniotomy, to see this kind of quick progress, this is undoubtedly God's provision! God is so good and we know He is answering all of your prayers for her.  Keep the prayers flowing! Grandma Cathy is calling her the comeback kid. She already told me she wants them to let her try walking all by herself tomorrow. If you know Alyssa, she is sweetly stubborn and her drive to get better and God's blessing will have her out and about in no time. As for Scott and I, after not knowing if we were flying to Oklahoma to plan a funeral, help a daughter who may have long term repercussions from a brain injury, etc., this mom and dad are overwhelmed with gratitude for your prayers and for God's care for our sweet daughter.

Alyssa told the ICU doctor this morning that her head felt funny before she fell. Please pray that the Lord can help the doctors find the cause of this and some other recent falls Alyssa has had. They are looking at blood pressure issues, medication side effects, etc. Also pray that her fluid levels will regulate and pray against any infection. 

Scott and Lori Weber
(Alyssa's mom and dad)

CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Alyssa’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register