Al Jaques

First post: Feb 13, 2018 Latest post: Sep 22, 2023
January 23rd started out like any other day.  We got up way too early to workout, did our normal routine to get ready for work and went on our way.  On my way to work, I was having trouble finding my blinker.  Then I struggled to get the gates open and the front door.  I would reach for my zipper and would be a couple inches off.  Something wasn’t right.  Paramedics came to my work to check me for a stroke or heart attack, and they said I seemed fine, but to follow-up with my physician.

The next two days would be a whirlwind.  I saw the doctor the same day at 2pm.  The doctor told us, just to be safe, I want you to have an MRI done.  I was able to get in that night at 6:30pm, and had two MRI’s done, one with and one without contrast.  We did not get the results until the next morning at 8am.  The doctor said my sinuses looked fine, but the contrast MRI showed a mass on my brain.  They were referring me to the U of M neurology department.  Wait, what?  I’m here for a pinched nerve and sinus infection. 

We waited all day for a call back from the U of M, and did not get one until 5pm.  But when we got that call, they wanted us to come in right away, and be admitted through the ER.  When we got to the ER, they said they wanted to admit me and do surgery the next day.  Because I did not have a scheduled surgery, they fit me in where they could for all the prep work.  CT Scans, MRI’s, prep, etc were scattered throughout the morning and early afternoon.  At 3:30 they said the doctor would be done with his last surgery soon and wanted to get me ready. 

I got to see my family before they took me in for surgery and the rest of the day, I pretty much don’t remember what happened.  The doctor told my family surgery went well and they thought they got everything, but that he thought the tumor looked to be cancerous.  We would have to wait for pathology results to know for sure.

I had surgery Thursday evening and was released from the hospital by Saturday at noon.  We had a lot of company the first few days, and so many meals brought to our home.  We can’t thank you all enough for all of that. 

We spent the next two weeks waiting and wondering on the biopsy results, before finally hearing them at the follow-up appointment on 2/8 to have my stitches removed.  She said I have glioblastoma, stage 4 cancer of the brain.  This is the same thing John McCain has.  The doctor did not want to give me a time frame when I asked how long.  She hesitated twice before saying 15 months.  I agree with her telling us that I will watch my grandkids graduate from college. 

Our faith is strong and the rush of prayers and well wishes has been staggering.  We love you guys!  Love each other, reach out to each other, comfort each other and know that I believe in God the Father and his son Jesus who has conquered death and I praise my savior for whatever path He chooses for me.  Please keep in touch!



CaringBridge is a nonprofit social network dedicated to helping family and friends communicate with and support loved ones during a health journey. Learn more about CaringBridge.

To interact with Al’s website, sign in or register today.

By registering with CaringBridge, you will join over 300,000 people a day who are supporting friends and family members.

Sign In Or Register