Can you support CaringBridge during our Spring giving campaign? Generous donors like you ensure that CaringBridge remains ad-free, private and protected.
Mar 6, 2017 Latest post:
Mar 8, 2018
Thank you for all that are visiting to check on how Aidan is doing and following his progress for his open heart surgery on 7 March 2017. On 14 September 2016, Aidan was diagnosed with a Congenital Heart Defect. He has a left coronary artery from the non-coronary cusp. I had no idea what that was either:). This has been a long journey because this is a rare condition that is not normally seen. Aidan is the 6th known person diagnosed with this condition. That means .02% of children are born with this condition, which means Aidan had a greater chance of winning the lottery. That's the part that bums me out the most! Ha. Three of the five people before Aidan were diagnosed post-humously, and two were diagnosed and had corrective surgery in Boston. Before the decision for surgery was made , Aidan's cardiologists at Seattle Children's Hospital conferred with Boston, a Texas hospital, and the U of Washington. After two trips to Seattle and numerous exhausting tests it was determined that Aidan would need open heart surgery. The goal is a normal life expectancy and his ability to live his life at 100%.
As most of you know Aidan has been benched from hockey and all competition sports for the last 6 months. It has been a tough 6 months because Aidan is an active guy who lives to play hockey and other sports. I cannot stress enough what a great job Aidan has done in adjusting his life and giving things up at such a young age. He has really had a lot of grace. It was necessary because the repercussion of having his artery in the wrong chamber is that it can become pinched and cause immediate coronary arrest. That being said we are very excited for Aidan to have this corrected and get on with his life. As a mom I'm scared for him to have such a major surgery.
We will leave for Seattle on 5 March and have a day of pre-op appointments 6 March. Aidan will have open heart on 7 March at 0730 PST. Joe and myself are flying down with Aidan on Sunday. My mom will come down on Monday, and the plan is my dad and Colin will get on the last flight out of Fairbanks Monday night and arrive Tuesday morning just in time to see Aidan before he has surgery. We are planning to stay in Seattle through the month of March, but hope to be back sooner. If you leave any encouraging comments, words, or love for Aidan and I will make sure he gets them❤️.