Friends, you are visiting this site because you have heard that Reb Zalman experienced a health crisis while here on the East Coast at Elat Chayyim.
Briefly, here is what happened:
- contrary to rumor, there was no fall
- Reb Zalman was visibly increasingly ill, following the Shavuot retreat, until we made the judgment call to get an ambulance and take him to the Emergency Room at the nearby Sharon Hospital
- after stabilizing him, the ER physician got the ambulance to bring him to St. Francis Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut
- where he was placed in the Intensive Care Unit on Monday, and remained until today
- in the ICU, he was diagnosed with severe pneumonia and other complications
- he received some serious treatment, and, thank G-d, was transferred out of ICU to their Cardiovascular unit this afternoon
We tremendously appreciate all the expressions of love and concern, and the generosity that we have received from so many of you.
We are focused now and concentrated on resting and healing.
We not only find ourselves unable to respond to calls and emails---we cannot even answer and open them.
We will try to keep you all updated on CaringBridge as often as possible. We will read the messages that you leave there when we can.
Meanwhile, Reb Zalman requests that you respond to this emergency in the traditional Jewish way:
tzedakah, and prayer for Meshullam Zalman Hiyye ben Chaya Gitl and Shlomo ha-Kohen
I thank you all so very much for your outpouring of concern and care; it helps to know that we are not alone.
Sign Up and Stay in Touch
Be one of the first to know when there’s an update to Zalman’s website.