Your donation today will help CaringBridge reach our $1 million goal to ensure no one has to face life’s most difficult journeys alone.



Total Entries: 28
Sort by:
  • Written May 10, 2010 8:07pm

    I had my second phase of reconstruction today.  It was same day surgery, which made me a little anxious at first, but I really have had minimal pain. The recovery nurse said I was one tough lady.  We were at McKennan at 5:30am, so it was an early morning or middle of the night, because we left Tripp at 4:15am.  I was done and leaving McKennan by 11:45.  We grabbed lunch and came home for some much needed rest.
    This completes all of the treatment I have planned.  I will have follow-ups with the plastic surgeon for awhile and appointments with my oncologist every three to four months, but no more active treatment plans for now, which means I don't have to get poked quite so often!  I really don't mind getting IV starts or lab draws, but if I'm picking, I'm skipping them.
    My family and I attended the Avera Against Breast Cancer this last weekend.  It was a little chilly, but we had a good time.  I completed my first 5K; I was hoping for a better time, but my family reminded me that a year ago I was too tired to even get up for the race, so that made me feel a little better.  Once I am healed from this surgery I plan on starting to run again to get ready for the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure in September.
    Thank you all for your support of the last year.  You will never know how much that has helped our family through all of this.
  • Written Mar 8, 2010 9:09pm

    I am now a 1 year survivor of breast cancer.  I must admit it has been a long year, but the last six months have been much more enjoyable than the first six months of this journey.
    I had an appointment today and everything seems to be going well.  My labs were normal.  I also had an ECHO today, and it showed that my heart is still functioning the same as when I started, so that too was good news.
    I have two doses of herceptin left, on March 29 and April 19.  I have one more surgery to finish reconstruction, which I'm planning on doing in some time in May.
    Otherwise I must admit life is pretty much back to normal.  Aaron is busy with tax season, and the girls keep me pretty busy.  Kendall is very busy and mobile now, so we have to watch out for her.  She is quickly approaching her first birthday on April 7.  Cameron thinks she is big enough now to pick Kendall up which nearly gives me a heart attack.  I enjoy my time with them immensely.
  • Written Nov 9, 2009 7:20pm

    Shelly is in her room, sleeping, and doing good.  The surgery went well, it was quicker than we expected.  The surgeon said that everything went as planned and she should be able to leave the hospital in a couple of days.  She is still in some pain, but like always she isn't complaining.  Continually today she said that her pain was at a 4 when I am sure it was worse than that.  She is a real trooper.  We are planning on coming back on Wednesday and we will both be very excited to see our little ladies after a couple of days away.   Thank you to everyone for the thoughts and prayers, calls, and cards. 

13,759 Visits

1 Tribute Donations

Shelly's site is made possible through donations.

Donate now to CaringBridge in tribute to Shelly.

Read the Tributes in honor of Shelly.

Help a Friend

Do you know someone who needs CaringBridge?