Next week is going to be a big week for Robin so please put Tuesday, July 2nd on your prayer list for us. Not only will Robin be resuming chemo after a LOVELY two week hiatus, but she is having an MRI done in the morning before chemo that is supposed to show if we're on the right path.
It's going to be a stressful day for many reasons. Robin will not be having her port accessed in the usual place, which is the hematology/oncology clinic, but right in the Radiology department before her MRI. They do this instead of using an IV to put in whatever stuff is needed during the MRI and this is a good thing as Robin really hates IVs. I have been assured that the nurses there are more than capable of doing this procedure well, but it will be a little nerve-wracking considering Robin's past experiences. I have to be sure to tell them she needs a one inch needle, remind them that they need take blood for the CBC and make sure that they know to leave her accessed so that she can go and get chemo after.
Robin is not going to be pleased to be wandering around afterward with her port accessed...but it is what it is. She already going to be a little bit of a wreck from all of this and then, if there is a wait in between the MRI and chemo, we'll just have to get a little lunch or something...oy. Then her shunt will need to be readjusted and that person won't be available until 12:30, so I'm hoping that the swelling at her right temple doesn't increase too much in the meantime. The shunt readjustment is just a matter of putting some kind of device on the place at the back of her head where the shunt was placed and turning a little dial. Last time it was practically painless, so I don't think Robin will too nervous about that. Then they will start the chemo, which will actually be a soothing experience at this point, knowing that everything else is behind her.
But we will still need to get the MRI results. I've tried to pin down the doctor as to when, but it all depends on what radiologist in on that day, etc. Dale was going to join us that afternoon for the results...but I really don't know if we'll be hearing anything at that time. Her chemo is only an hour once it gets going, so if all goes according to plan, we will be ready to leave by 2 p.m. and Robin will want to leave immediately. So I'm not sure that we will hear the results before we have to leave. I think what I might do is tell the doctor that if the MRI shows exactly what they were looking for and they have the results back before we leave, just tell Robin and I. BUT if the results are not what they were looking for then they should call Dale and talk to him so that he can hear that news and ask all the questions that I never think of asking. If the results are anything but what we're expecting, I would like to be able to talk to Robin privately anyway.
The MRI may be inconclusive at this point. I mean, it's a 15 month process and this is just the first three months. We've basically been told that they are just looking for no new growth. However, I am PRAYING for more, as you all know. So if you would just lift us up here, in ALL of these various areas, I would be so grateful.
Otherwise, Robin has been doing well. It's a quiet summer, for sure, but she has been very calm and peaceful for the most part. After a couple of attempts at Bible studies that didn't click, I found a teen edition of THE STORY at Treasured Times and she is loving it! It's really great because she's been wanting to read the real Bible instead of a children's version, but we just hadn't found the right one. This is really clicking with her and it's positive experience on more than one level because she's also been having trouble reading since the surgery. Not really sure what has been up with that, but she's had a hard time focusing on reading. But she started reading this one and it's going pretty smoothly...she's making good progress and, besides loving the material, of course, it's building her confidence about the fact that she WILL be able to read again with pleasure. :)
Oh, one more thing, on Monday, July 1st, we are also going back to the ophthalmologist for a field of vision test. The regular eye exam was very positive...20/20 in the unaffected eye and 20/30 in the eye with the tumor ..great news! However, they said that in most cases that means that the field of vision is going to be compromised. They haven't found any evidence of that in the little tests they can do with little flashlights, etc, but this test will involve a machine that will be more conclusive. I am praying that this test will also have the most positive result!
In looking for a scripture to help me deal with all of these prayers, I was led to 1 Corinthians 12:18...LITERALLY led...I asked for a scripture, opened a devotional and there it was..."God has placed the parts, each one of them, in the body just as He wanted." Praise HIM! His will be done.
So everything is going pretty well! Thank you, as always, for all of your love, prayers and support. We couldn't do this without you. We love you all!