Our good friend Meredith posted this old Facebook post from Rachel on her Birthday yesterday. As I re-read it I could not help to hear her voice... enjoy!
From FB on Thursday, February 12, 2009 at 9:25pm
25 Things about me, none of them very interesting by Rachel Brant Peres
1. I am terrible with faces. I wouldn’t recognize the UPS guy that I saw every single day if I saw him out of uniform at the grocery store. I never introduce myself to people because I’ve usually met them already, or sometimes might even know them well. I need to watch movies with another person who can tell me if that is the same guy from the last scene in a different outfit.
2. I lived in Alaska for 4 years and I could not see Russia. I once cross country skied to school.
3. Partially because I am an Air Force brat, I have lived in 9 different cities in five states and two countries.
4. I love the sound and smell of the ocean. It’s like soul candy.
5. My favorite place to be is under water, but I prefer it when not wearing cement shoes.
6. I like to work for start-ups where I wear multiple hats so I don’t get bored doing any one task or job. Thus, I am currently and usually unemployed (laid off for the 7th time since I graduated from college).
7. I like to write. It’s the one thing I know I am good at. Some day the stars may smile on me and my kids will leave me alone long enough to write a book. Until then, I’ll write press releases, web copy, marketing brochures, and resumes.
8. I have been married for 8.5 years, I have 2 kids (Evan is almost 4 and Kate is 18 months), 2 cats, 1 sink full of dishes, and 7 loads of laundry to do at any given time.
9. I am 5 foot 10 inches tall. Taller than most of you without my heels, which I never wear anymore since at my advanced age it’s now better to feel good than to look good, dahling.
10. I finally found out that the only thing I have in common with my biological father is that we both hate mushrooms.
11. I am a firm believer in karma and Murphy’s Law. Perhaps they’re conflicting spiritual positions.
12. I always overtip. A dollar has a much different value to you than to your waitress. It’s only one-quarter of a venti latte to you but to your server it’s a validation. People who are nice to you but are not nice to wait staff are not very nice people. I once dumped a longtime boyfriend over his refusal to tip a waiter who told him they were out of cheese.
13. I believe that you can tell a lot about a person by seeing how well they tip, if they wear seatbelts, and if they use turn signals. These are indicators of someone who respects themselves and others, and used to be my litmus test for dating.
14. For the most part, I am always sarcastic so you should never take anything I say seriously since I’m usually kidding.
15. My dream job would be a television reviewer for Entertainment Weekly. Or a travel writer who got to go all over the world on someone else’s budget and review their accommodations. Or heiress. That would be a good job.
16. I am conversational in German and Spanish, as long as the conversation involves ordering a beer or bumming a cigarette. I am long-winded in English.
17. I studied abroad in Vienna, where I lived in a flat with a hausfrau and went to school and traveled all over Europe every weekend. It was the most amazing 4 months of my life.
18. In my previous life, I was a marketing professional in the high-tech field. Now I am a full-time mom whose managers are younger than me (by about 32 years), less educated, more demanding than any boss I ever had, make me work nights and weekends with no vacations, and not only don’t pay well, but I have to pay them. Nevertheless, my kids are an amazing gift.
19. I have a terrible memory. If I mention a memory of childhood to my mom, she will tell me that it never happened. I can’t remember major incidents from 3rd grade, 8th grade, high school, or even college.
20. If I were in a band, I would name it Schadenfreude (which in German means happy bummer. It’s essentially the act of laughing when your friend runs through a glass door, and the reason that Funniest Home Videos has been on the air for 20 years.)
21. I recently realized that I am a perfectionist, and that perfectionism leads to procrastination which leads to purgatory. That is why it took me four days to write my 25 things list.
22. Things I love include John Irving, bacon, filet mignon, brie, TV, People magazine, my baby’s cute little waddling butt, my son’s amazing eyelashes, and my husband’s uncanny ability to call who the murderer is 10 minutes into the show.
23. I used to be obsessed with the Ouija board and have had several bizarre experiences with it.
24. I love indie music. I hate hearing the same stuff on the radio 10 times a day.
25. I did my senior thesis in college on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and my research was quoted by a national publication.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Sign Up and Stay in Touch
Be one of the first to know when there’s an update to Rachel’s website.