Marissa Jean Monroe - Born on July 10, 2005 - Angel wings on June 13, 2008
big sister: Makenzie
little brother: Mason
On November 27, 2006 Marissa was diagnosed with stage 4 high risk neuroblastoma. Marissa's only symptom was a black eye that appeared out of the blue & wouldn't go away.
Marissa relapsed on October 19, 2007 with a spot on the MIBG scan on her skull above her left ear.
Neuroblastoma is a form of cancer that occurs in infants and young children. It is rarely found in children older than 10 years. The cells of this cancer usually resemble very primitive developing nerve cells found in an embryo or fetus. (The term neuro indicates "nerves," while blastoma refers to a cancer that affects immature or developing cells).
After several tests, two tumors were found in Marissa. One in her abdomen and one next to her left eye. Cancer has also spread in to her bone marrow. A biopsy of the tumor was sent to Los Angeles and the results are as follows:
Dr. Shimada's evaluation of the tumor biopsy: HIGH RISK
MYCN GENE: amplified / unfavorable
DNA PLOIDY: favorable
Shimada Classification: unfavorable
- 7 rounds of high dose chemo- Bronson Hospital
- stem cell rescue/collection (10 million stem cells collected)- U of M
- remove tumor in abdomen 3/26/2007 - U of M
- 3F8 Antibody therapy-Sloan Kettering NYC (so far, 5 rounds of 3f8 and HAMA)
- a second stem cell collection (7 million stem cells collected)-Sloan Kettering, NYC
- 14 rounds of radiation, 2 times/day with sedation-Sloan Kettering, NYC
- 6 rounds of retinoic acid (Accutane), 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off- home (5 rounds completed)
- 8 rounds of lower dose chemo (Irinotecan and oral temador) NYC & Kalamazoo
- 12 rounds of radiation to her entire skull
- Many scans and bone marrow biopsies
Marissa relapsed on October 19, 2007 with 3 spots on her skull. This cleared after full skull radiation and 8 rounds of Irinotecan/Temador. It took 6 months for the spots on her skull to clear. On April 10, 2008 after her MIBG scan we found that Marissa now had a new spot of NB in the marrow on her spine between L3-L5. The NB is also in her bone marrow, but is microscopic. There is question if the NB is in her spinal fluid. On April 21, 2008 Marissa started more high dose chemo. On June 5, 2008 we were told that the cancer had spread everywhere in her body and there were no more treatment options. Marissa was sent home from MSKCC on hospice. Marissa became one of God's Angel's on Friday, June 13, 2008. She is forever loved and missed. Marissa was laid to rest on Tuesday, June 17, 2008.
www.lunchforlife.org Giving tree code 24348. Donate in Marissa's honor, proceeds will benefit new treatments.
****People have been asking what they can do to help us. We have a savings account set up in Marissa's name at FNB in Three Rivers, Centreville, Mendon & Constantine. Donations can be made under "Marissa Monroe". All of the money donated will help with travel expenses & medical expenses. Another idea would be to purchase Visa gift cards & mail them to us. The gift cards can be used anywhere that Visa is accepted. Thank you all for your help. We couldn't get through this without all of the amazing support that you have provided.