Katie Verdecchia's Journal
Written Oct 27, 2010 1:38pmYEAH! The final Authorization was certified this morning after additional documentation received from Ronald Reagan. Now it's time to start packing for our trip so I have a few days to ensure I don't forget everything. I have some outfits and toys set aside (so hopefully they will be new to her again).
Written Oct 26, 2010 5:39pmThanks so much for the outpouring of support. I almost teared up from all the guest book entries alone.
As for Katie, she is doing both bad and good. She just learned how to give us kisses Friday night, and then had almost 50 seizures in the next 24 hours before we had to take her to the ER while we were out of town. Luckily the emergency meds worked and she was back to her 6-10 seizures during the day on Sunday and seems to be holding at about 10 during the day.
TRICARe has approved the Hosp. stay, the VEEG, and the PET scan but not the MRI. We have sent in the additional paperwork and we are awaiting the word now.
too late to go back now- Plane tickets have been purchased and we will be on our way Sunday afternoon and trick or treating in Cali that evening with Monika and her family. Her son also received a hemi, and I am very interested in meeting them and others while down there.
Again, thank you all for your support, it is just tremendous to know it is out there along with prayer to get us through this.
Written Oct 22, 2010 1:20pmKatie will be going down to UCLA 31 October for a week to get some testing done. She will have another Video EEG, an updated MRI, and now a PET scan. The testing is to see if Katie is a candidate for brain surgery.
Katie is having seizures, debilitating ones, twenty-four hours a day on the right side of her brain. She is having 6-10 seizures a day that we are visibly seeing, and these are on the rise as well. She has four kinds of seizures and she is having seizures so hard she is not breathing during some of them. It is very scary. Brian surgery , if she is eligible, will reduce the amount of seizures and extend her life expectancy. I know it is a pretty radical procedure, and we would not be going down this road if we did not think God was guiding us down this path. They will NOT recommend her if they do not believe it will improve her quality of life. Katie already has developmental delays and left side paresis, which is a residual effect of brain surgery. Her neurologist beieves it will not take away anything she has already learned, but that Katie has alot to lose if we cannot get her seizures under control.