CaringBridge Is Funded by People Like You

Make a donation to CaringBridge

Honor Katie with a tax-deductible contribution to CaringBridge today.

Click here to make your donation.

Katie’s Story

It's crazy how fast your life can change! Working on Friday and hospitalized on Sunday. Who would have known?

Latest Journal Update


Well, no news has been GOOD news! Here is the last 6 months in
a nutshell.

Working has helped me realize how well I’m doing:

On January 31st, I returned to work part-time
(still taking classes full-time with Linfield). I was a bit nervous for a few
reasons. First, in January I was still spending much of my time sleeping. If I
was up before 10 am it was amazing. I remember being frustrated thinking I was
sleeping my life away. However, my doctor kept telling me that my body needed
rest to recover. So, if I was tired, I just slept and slept and slept (some
days until late afternoon). Going back to work meant that I would have to get
up at 6 am in order to get ready and drive the 50 minutes or so to Springfield.
To my surprise, I was easily able to get up at 6 am and in fact, I felt really
good. So, I continued getting up earlier on my days off and couldn’t believe
how good I felt. Had I not returned to work, I wouldn’t have discovered this.

Next, I worried about the stairs. The office is on the second
floor and although there is an elevator, I told myself I would do the stairs.
At first it was embarrassing, especially if someone was coming up the stairs
behind me, because I was so slow. However, I could tell my strength was
improving. By May, I could go up and downs the stairs at a normal pace. Now, I
don’t even think about them.  

OHSU appointment on June 18th:

I went to see Dr. G on
June 18th which was my 2-year bone marrow transplant anniversary.
Wow, I can’t believe it’s been 2 years!!! Anyway, the appointment went well. I
had a bone marrow biopsy while I was there which since has come back clear.
Yippee, cancer free for now!

I was shocked when Dr. G said I didn’t need to come back for
ONE YEAR! That’s amazing! Until June, I had been on a six-week schedule. I
would rotate seeing Holly in Corvallis and then Dr. G at OHSU every six weeks.
Now, I see Holly at 3, 6, & 9 months and then go to OHSU at 12 months! I
thought that was an enormous step for me!

My donor:

I just found out my donor’s name today! His name is Kenneth
Flob and he lives in Germany. I have his address and his email and will be
contacting him. That’s all I know at this point, but am happy to have some contact
information for him.

Well, that’s my last 6 months. I feel really good and am to
the point where I don’t think anyone would have any idea what my body has been
through if they didn’t know. I don’t plan to update unless I have a setback or
get additional information about my donor.

Thanks so much for following me on this journey. I appreciate
all the prayers and support!