CaringBridge Is Funded by People Like You

Make a donation to CaringBridge

Honor Joshua with a tax-deductible contribution to CaringBridge today.

Click here to make your donation.

Joshua’s Story

Welcome to our CaringBridge site. We've created it to keep friends and family updated. We appreciate your support and words of hope and encouragement during this time when it matters most.

Joshua Daniel Coles was born at 10:21am on December 1, 2012. Labor and delivery were very easy, and I couldn't believe it when they put him on my chest after pushing him out, he was finally here! I had a partial placenta abruption, and he swallowed a lot of blood. They took him off my chest after about 30 seconds and took him to the warmer to be suctioned really well. While they were suctioning they monitored his oxygen levels and he was in the 70s. They gave him some oxygen right there, and even while giving 100% oxygen, his levels were still in the 80s. They decided he needed to go to the NICU for more oxygen. I was able to hold him for about 1-2 minutes while they waited for something, and then Adam followed Joshua to the NICU. They took him away about 40 minutes after he came out, and I had to stay since they had just finished stitching me up and I was suppose to wait 2 hours before they let me out of the room.I was finally wheeled over to NICU about 2 hours after giving birth. He was on oxygen and his levels were still low. He had one monitor on his hand and one on his foot. They should have been reading at the same level, but one was always higher than the other. They did an oxygen blood test and they showed his level in the 20s. They began to suspect a heart problem. We were told we would be transferred to UCSF that night and that he would need a central line and to be intubated before we left. He would ride in an ambulance and we would have to follow behind. He needed an ultrasound of his heart to show if that was the real problem. The cardiologist confirmed that it is what they thought: transposition of the great arteries. He will need heart surgery in the next 1-2 weeks to correct the transposition of the aorta and pulmonary arteries. He will then spend 2-4 weeks in the hospital recovering in the CICU. We hope to have him home in 4-6 weeks.