To those who know and love Jose here is what he is going through his status and his progress as I learn it. Please feel free to email with questions, I will keep this updated as often as possible.
Please hold Jose in your prayers, with faith and love we can bring him home.
As most know, Jose was deployed to Iraq in May of 2005. Leaving his way of life to live the dream he had of serving his country, and answering his call to duty. To Jose this decision was an honorable move that he had waited for, for many years.
On the morning of March 1st, however, came the news that the family dreaded most.
Jose had been injured, for the second time, this time was much more severe than the last. The phone call I received was that he had been in an ambush with IED's, RPG's, small arms, etc. He had been wounded in the head with an unknown object, possibly a bullet or schrapnel. There was no statement on how severe it could be at the time, only that he was being taken into immediate surgery to stabilize him. Pending stabilization he would then be air lifted to Germany for further treatment.
Later, after many phone calls and long hours awaiting even the smallest bit of news, it was learned that he was stable and being airlifted within a few hours. Upon his arrival to Germany another call came through to inform us that he had made it there and was still stable, but further information would have to wait until the doctor's could asses his wounds, vitals, and overall condition.
This is where the longest waiting period began, day two of the dreaded wait. With family unsure of a status, unsure of recovery, just awaiting the call to tell us if he would be OK.
After many calls, and many hours of pacing we finally received some information. Jose had been hit with a piece of schrapnel in the lower rear part of the left hemisphere of his brain, as well as schrapel in his back, and a broken arm with an open wound. The concentration of the Doctor's in Germany was the head wound.
Jose's vital signs were great. Blood pressure of 120 and a heart rate of 80, he's holding strong. What remained unsettling to the doctors was the lack of response that they were receiving from Jose through multiple tests.
They managed to take care of the head wound at the best of their ability and proceeded to monitor Jose throughout the day. Due to his strong and healthy vital signs the doctors refrained from putting him on blood pressure medication, which would normally be administered in a case such as this. The doctors also opted to discontinue the administration of the sedative that he had been given. At this point they wanted him to wake up. Unfortunately that would not be the case.
After 12+ hours of being off of the sedative medication Jose is still not responding. The hospital is still planning on getting Jose back to the U.S. for an ETA of the evening of March 3, 2006, with a specific destination still unknown.