Your donation today will help CaringBridge reach our $1 million goal to ensure no one has to face life’s most difficult journeys alone.



Total Entries: 19
Sort by:
  • Written Jun 17, 2010 2:00pm by Mum & Dad Forrester

    GREAT NEWS!   Ian was discharged from the hospital this afternoon!  He is going to Bristol for a while to recouperate with his family and asks that people leave off contacting him directly for a bit as he's got a month's worth of email/messages to get through already and his phone is playing up at the moment.  He hopes to be back to his usual online presence soon, but for now just wants to relax and enjoy being 'on the outside'.  As always, thanks for all your messages and kind words, and you are welcome to continue leaving messages in the guestbook here.

    Ian and his mum have made a formal complaint to the hospital today, and Ian wrote the following about his experience last night around 10pm:

    This is for the Patients Advice and Liaison service of Salford Royal.

    Not everything is right here. Your motto is ‘safe, clean and personal’ but in practice someone is going to make a mistake here at some point. There's a few a scare stories doing the rounds including a guy with cancer who came in the same time as me. He was nil by mouth but still fed by a nurse, which gave him pneumonia as the food gathered in his lungs. Or the girl on my ward who was also given food when nil by mouth and got a serious infection which almost wiped out her immune system.

    But this is about patent 2042873 on the ANU ward. I've notice a few glaring errors while I've spent some time in your hospital and I want to make sure they are covered.

    1. I spent a lot of time in the ICU and according to my parents they were less that impressed with the nurses and the lack of information they received about what was happening with me. As you can imagine, it’s a scary time and a little information no matter how small can help put the mind at rest. This is why having to book time with the doctor to find out what’s happening is a bad thing. At one point my mum was treated to a conversation about hospital pay instead of a update on her son who was lying in bed. This shouldn't happen. I'm not saying they are all bad on the ICU ward, my mum remembers the names of some really good nurses but generally it was hit and miss, which is not what you want in your moment of despair.

    2. Moving from ICU to a ward.   I really wish this was a easy move but it wasn't. I was plonked in a ward with stroke victims which is something a bit like I had but not exactly.  Worse still they were all pre-surgery.  The first time I was moved I was plonked in A3 which is a neurological ward then after one day, moved to the ward I'm on now. Although some of the people are interesting, they’re once again pre-surgery and I am post surgery. Basically I got the feeling that they didn't know quite what to do with me and put me on a ward (any ward).  Having a stoke is like a bleed on the brain but not quite the same. So I can see the logic in putting me on the ward but for future reference it would have been better to me in with post-surgery people.

    3. We get woken up at the crack of dawn to have breakfast, which is fine, but for the last few mornings I've not had my pills one of which is to treat high blood pressure. You’re meant to take them in the morning to make them more efficient (according to my mum who takes the same pill). The problem is that not taking the pills means I could be heading back to having a bleed on the brain or worse still.  Unless when they’re waking us up in the morning and loading the pills into our mouths, I'm not getting my pills and have not for the last few days. What makes this worse is the fact that my chart says I did get my pills, which is a lie because I'm not insane and would remember if I had the extremely sour tablets or not. I'm also not on any sedative medication and so would remember if I did. Most of the time I sleep, so there is no time to give me pills in the morning let alone anything else. The pills come in little containers which are given to directly to the person on the ward because "being a open ward, we don't want patients swapping pills". This is also why the medical box is locked by the side of the bed I guess. But it makes proving if I took the pills very difficult. In the end it was hard to prove it either way because the packet was empty, which makes me think that some nurse got to the end and couldn't be bothered to get a new packet from the pharmacy.

    4. I'm totally terrified of needles and injections but forcing me to have a shot every night in case I develop a clot is a little excessive.  Why wasn't I introduced to the alternatives which may have helped ease the tension of being jabbed every day in the stomach?  What those alternatives are I'm not totally sure right now but I'm informed there are alternative blood thinners such as aspirin?

    5. To date I've seen my doctor once since leaving ICU 6 days ago, he's been too busy to see me and mark me off as fit to go home. Everyone else has asserted that I'm fine but I need the go ahead from my doctor. I could mark my self as capable, but that means if anything happens I'm on my own. No, instead what I need is for the doctor to spend 5mins with me and tell me to go home, but being from ICU means my doctor isn't the normal doctor you get on the ward and so I have to wait for my doctor to make his way downstairs to my ward. This sounds very easy and painless but it’s been 3 days since been assessed by social services as fine to go home. 3 days I've been waiting for the doctor to come and see me and sign me off. On the ward the usually doctors come every day and come explain what’s happening, but mine never comes and even when he does, never explains what’s happening. All I wanted was someone to say ‘yes you’re fine to go home’ but instead all I got was the run around when trying to get through to my doctor. I understand he has surgery but not all day for the next few days. Too busy to see me 3 floors down. All the other doctors come around once a day and speak to their patients for about 5mins while mine is super elusive. What makes things worse is that because of the mismatch between ICU and the ward I don't get the same privileges as people on the same ward. Its frustrating being fit enough to go home but having to wait for someone to get their butt over to the unit to mark me off as well enough. According to the nurses this isn't a new thing and it always happens when a patient is from a different department. I feel like I'm the butt end of a hospital joke or some kind of hospital politics. The worse thing is that I've actually got somewhere to be on Friday.  My mum was going to take me to Cornwall for the weekend but how can she plan for this when she doesn’t know when I'm out of here. I got a feeling I'm going to be here over the weekend using up a bed which someone could really use.

    6. Nebulisers.  My mum had come up to visit me and that time with my parents is special. So I was appalled when I was asked to don a nebuliser and use it while my mum was visiting. It’s not exactly the most attractive of things and you can't talk to your loved one through it which is a shame if they come and travelled all the way up to speak to you. Nebuliser is also a thing which can be started at anytime so why this nurse felt the need to butt in I don't know. I feel it was so rude and for the sake of an hour she could have waited till visiting hours were over, but no that was too much to ask.

    7. I feel like I'm in one massive lord of the flies scenario. Those who are really ill get the most attention, which is right, but it gets a little tiring, For example the guy next to me is in for lack of nutrition and gets a lot of attention like a name check by everyone that comes in the room while I get nothing. This would be fine if the guy had been here before me but according to my room mate, the guy arrived the same day as me and only arrived a couple hours before me. It just helps makes you feel human if the nurses say hi when entering the room, something obviously not reserved for myself. I hardly get a name check by anyone even when entering the ward. Maybe it’s the way my name is written on the board above me or something?

    8. Ultimately I just want to leave and I’m very tempted to leave of my own accord. Surely you can see this isn't right but it’s my only option right now. Some of the nurses are helpful but others are not. I'm told that I can leave for weekend leave but then I should be back for Sunday evening. This is not what I seek, I'm well enough to leave and should be assessed as such. I've spoken to the ward manager and had the same answer, they’e trying to get my doctor but failed for many reasons. In the end I spoke to Patient’s Advice (Ann Cullen) and they’re also trying to get through to the doctor but once again its like hitting my head against a brick wall. I got the number of David Jones who’s meant to be the lead manager but he's not answering his bleeps either so we’re back to square one. Someone just needs to answer there bleeps and come and see me. One of the nurses told me I've been basically left in the wrong ward and now the doctors are not willing to come and see me.

    [Ian added this note after being discharged this afternoon:]
    Good news, after 5 days I'm free to go. A doctor (not mine, he’s still awol) came down and discharged me. I asked what took so long and he said he doesn't know.

    [Ian and his mum made the formal complaint verbally today, but will also be putting the above in writing after some editing.]

  • Written Jun 16, 2010 3:16pm by Mum & Dad Forrester

    [Message below written by Ian on his laptop and transferred to USB key for publication.  Guestbook messages from this site are still being taken to the hospital every 2 days or so.]

    Hi Everyone,

    Thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to write in, drop me a message or even those who are just following my progress. I am doing extremely well and looking to go home in a day or so.

    We got a new room mate to replace one of the other guys, unfortunately this guy cries himself to sleep in the loudest possible way. So loud they had to move his bed to another room so we could get some sleep. At least the other guy was quiet during the night, even if he would wake up and give himself a shock, it was almost as if he was slightly deaf.

    The mobile signal is terrible in Hospital, it’s almost like they have blockers to instantly drop the signal in places. You can barely get one bar anywhere near the hospital. I can get text messages but they’re infrequent. Still the best way to catch me is still on the caring bridge site.

    I am going nuts in here with the routine of an early 8:30am start and lunch at 12pm. I can hardly stay awake for most of the day because there are so many gaps in the day between lunch, breakfast, etc and little to do to fill it in. I must have read wired uk cover to cover twice already. Yep it’s pretty boring in here and almost nothing can stop that being true, except sleep.

    My doctor is almost non-existent, they didn't know who he or she was at first but finally they were able to track him down. Still I've only met him once in a few days and he ultimately can send me home if he feels I'm up to it (which I am). At this moment I'm pretty much laughing/crying to myself that I'm never getting out of here and I’m going to be stuck in here for the next week or so. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to get out of here before the 2nd round of the football, or heck will I get out of here before the quarter rounds? As mentioned I'm not usually a football fan but I do get mixed up in the hype around the games. Plus it’s the only thing on right now, although I discovered that Big Brother is still on for its last time. I thought it was already over.
  • Written Jun 15, 2010 2:00pm by Mum & Dad Forrester

    [The following message was written by Ian on his laptop and smuggled to the outside world by USB key.]

    Hi Everyone,

    Thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to write in, drop me a message or even those who are just following my progress. I am doing extremely well and looking to go home in a few days time.

    I've finally seen Lost and flash forward. I still think of lost as a bit of a dream and I'll have to watch it again when I get home, just to be sure I got everything I was meant to. As for flash forward well its certainly interesting but not as deep as lost. There’s lots of things which are left unknown in lost like what happened to the children of lost but I can forgive the writers, its a complex plot which was difficult to follow at the best of times.

    I discovered I can actually walk out of the unit at any time. Which was shocking because i've been waiting on the unit for the last few days and been going a little stir crazy. Actually the only thing keeping me going off the deep end has been the football believe it or not. Watching the football has been great as I get to use the spare room and interact with some more people. Walking out means I can get lunch when ever I feel like it and I'm not beholden to the ward times for dinner, lunch, etc.

    I've noticed that my D key has somewhat stopped working and as a result you may have to add them in your mind. [Editor's note:  Missing Ds have been added back in!]

    I've been reading over the messages an waves of support for me over twitter, cards, and the caring bridge site. They have been very sweet and I'm proud I've touched enough of your lives to be remembered by so many of you. Not comparing cards but the nurses are shocked by the amount of cards one person could get from outside. It’s almost like a minor celeb has popped up in there ward or something. Everyone keeps asking me what I do and are somewhat disappointed when i say something to do with the net.

    The sad thing is reading over the early replies and my mum’s blog entry about my lack of early progress. It’s still a bit of a blur how I ended up in hospital but I can't help but cry about the state I was in an the shock I might have caused my parents and friends. Like I said before I've touched so many of your lives and I'm overwhelmed by the support.  I do remember having some very funky dreams while in the land of nod. One involves being in the Olympics and being mistaken for bolt, it was very surreal. I also had a dream that I was moving flat which is still due to happen in the very near future, once I get out of hospital.

    Thanks to Ross and Carly for coming and visiting in the early days, I'm sorry about the amount of scratching I was doing, I had not had a proper shower for days. I'm also hearing that I owe Jeremy Keith a thanks for what he has done although I haven't actually seen it yet.  I heard it’s on flickr which I still don't have access to the wider internet even with the Vodafone dongle I now own thanks to Ant Miller who came and saw me today. It’s always good to hear what’s happening at work even if I'm away resting in bed.

    The Vodafone dongle should make communication with the outside world easier but in practice so far I can't get it setup with ubuntu 10.04. I think mainly because I'm using the 64bit version which doesn't have the drivers for the usb dongles or something?. Depending on how much longer I'm in the hospital, I may have to install the 32bit version on my laptop, as I now have the space to run multiple versions of ubuntu on the laptop thanks to the sneaky hard drive upgrade I did just before falling ill.

    I can't believe I missed Simon and Nat's wedding in Brighton. I'm very sorry guys I would have loved to have been there but I was in stuck in a hospital bed with a ventilator for company. I hope to hear lots from the web about the wedding and how it all went. I'm sure it went amazingly and I wish the new couple lots of luck on their new future. If I had one piece of advice, don't change a thing. Just because you're married means little to your overall relationship, little should actually change.

10,911 Visits

2 Tribute Donations

Ian's site is made possible through donations.

Donate now to CaringBridge in tribute to Ian.

Read the Tributes in honor of Ian.

Help a Friend

Do you know someone who needs CaringBridge?