CaringBridge Is Funded by People Like You

Make a donation to CaringBridge

Honor George with a tax-deductible contribution to CaringBridge today.

Click here to make your donation.

George’s Story

Feel The FORCE

On Sept 20, 2012 George had surgery in Philadelphia to correct a rare and complex congenital heart defect. After 8 months in the ICU and countless complications including loss of some of his extremities, George was able to come home and enjoy the summer with his family and friends who love him so dearly. Despite his physical challenges and a heart that wouldn't fully recover, George's strength, bravery, unshakable faith and compassion for others inspired all who met him. George went home to the Lord peacefully Saturday, August 31, 2013 while sleeping at the cabin, after teaching us that with faith, hope, love and a little humor we can overcome any obstacle. George loves fishing, golfing, playing hockey, building Legos, and is a Star Wars enthusiast. Darth Vader said it best, "The Force is strong with this one."  

Rest in Peace, Little Jedi

Your eyes saw my unformed body;

    all the days ordained for me were written in your book

    before one of them came to be.  
                                                         Psalm 139:16

But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”
                                                         Luke 18:16-17

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.                                                  2 Timothy 4:7


From October 2012:

George had open heart surgery on September 20th at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to correct a congenital heart defect, L transposition of the great arteries (LTGA) with double outlet right ventricle (DORV). It was a very complex surgery (Senning and Rastelli double switch) that started out well; however, complications began when they could not get him off bypass and had to put him on ECMO, a machine which performs the heart function while the heart recuperates.  They were able to get him off ECMO 5 days later but he has had one complication after another since that time.  As of now, they are trying to get him extubated for the third time, which has been a balancing act of eliminating fluids so lungs quit collapsing while keeping enough fluid for kidneys to function.  He has also been battling EAT, an arrhythmia that is not uncommon with this type of operation. He has suffered damage (similar to a frostbite) to his extremities due to poor perfusion when on ECMO.  A plastic surgeon and orthopedic surgeon are waiting to see what regeneration occurs and will determine what steps to take for George to have maximum use of his hands and feet.  This has obviously been a very difficult time; however, we have learned to take it day by day, rely fully on our faith, and lean on the love and the prayers of our friends and family.  Words cannot express how blessed we feel to have so much outpouring of support from all of you!