On April 19th,2010 Courtney was diagnosed with a pontine glioma. This is a tumor that grows in the brain stem and is inoperable. It could not be biopsied because of the location. Prognosis is grim with an 7% survival rate at 2 years from diagnosis.
Dx: April 19th, 2010
Courtney was diagnosed at Children's Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama by Dr. Jeffrey Blount. Her oncologist was Dr. Alyssa Reddy.
April 19th, 2010-October 31, 2010
1. Radiation treatment at the Wallace Tumor Institute in Birmingham, Alabama. This consisted of 30 radiation treatments in 6 weeks (5 days a week).
2. A chemotherapy called Avastin (bevacizumab), that was given thru her port, bi-weekly during radiation therapy.
3. 80 mg. Temodar (temozolomide) given nightly for 42 days during radiation therapy.
4. We also gave her several herbal supplements. We took her to Rhonda Dial at Go Natural and had her tested for herbs to add to her diet to help improve her health. These included Paw Paw Reg Cell, Ruta 6, Calcera Phos., and Sanicle.
5. MRI on July 8, 2010 showed significant shrinkage.
6. August 2010-Treatment was stopped because she developed Aplastic Anemia.
7. MRI on October 6, 2010 showed that the tumor had started growing again.
8. Courtney passed away October 31, 2010.