×

CaringBridge Needs Your Help by December 31st

Make a gift to CaringBridge in honor of Charles and you’ll help even more people surround each other with love and support this holiday season. Donate Now

Charles’s Story

Hey Family and Friends,

Welcome to Charles' CaringBridge Website. This website will help us keep you updated on how Charles is doing, additional information about his condition, and specific prayer requests.  Thank you for all of your prayers and for the encouragement.


Charles' story began in Nov. 2010 while Charles was playing basketball at school.  He and another player hit knee to knee.  Charles fell to the ground, holding his right knee but later continued to play.  His Dad took him to the pediatrician and an x-ray was ordered but nothing showed up on the x-ray.  He kept up with basketball but in Dec. he said the same leg was hurting.  Afterwards, his knee never really got better.  He did play his basketball games in Jan. and Feb. and we took him to the doctor in Feb. and was referred to an orthopedic doctor.  From an x-ray, it appeared he had had a stress fracture of the tibia below the knee and he was to rest the leg. Well, he played in a basketball tournament and the result was that he could not walk on his leg.  The doctor put him on crutches for Mar., Apr., May and the first week of June. Through these months, he did have a knot-bump at the site of the stress fracture that was becoming bigger.  The doctor said this was calcification and inflamation.  He was released from the crutches and began physical therapy the second week of June and was making some progress on straightening his knee.  On a return visit to the orthopedic dr., he looked at Charles' knee and said the knot was getting bigger.  Charles and I said it had been this big for awhile.  He told us he was going to refer us to an orthopedic surgeon to assess the knee and determine if surgery would be required to remove the calcification and so his nurse made an appointment to visit Chapel Hill and Dr. Esther.  Doug took Charles to this doctor thinking it was another routine visit while on their way to their Boy Scout camping/gold mining trip.  We were all shocked when Dr. Esther told Doug and Charles the knot was a tumor and referred us to Dr. Ian Davis, pediatric hematology-oncology doctor.  This set in motion the biopsy appointment, CT scan and further tests, surgery for the port and chemotherapy treatment within about a week and a half. Charles did well through the chemo treatments, but the side effects of the drugs had him not feeling well.  He was discharged from the hospital on Sat.   We had previously made plans for the family to go to the beach for the next week and we decided to go ahead to the beach.  We knew we might be heading back to Chapel Hill if we had any problems. God blessed us because even though Charles didn't start feeling better until Thurs., his labs on Mon. and Thurs. were good enough that we didn't have to get any additional fluids or go back to the hospital.  Since we've gotten back from the beach, Charles is feeling better and having more normal activity.  We go back to Chapel Hill on Aug. 10 for his next treatment and 2 more days of fluids.  The plan is for Wed., Thurs., Fri., admittance.  Keep praying for God to strengthen Charles' body and prepare him for the upcoming treatments.