× Estamos introduciendo nuevas características a CaringBridge. Las traducciones al español no están disponibles actualmente, pero esperamos poder agregarlos pronto. Gracias por su paciencia.


CaringBridge Is Funded by People Like You

Make a donation to CaringBridge

Honor Andrew with a tax-deductible contribution to CaringBridge today.

Click here to make your donation.

Andrew’s Story

Andrew's Road to Recovery

Welcome to Andrew Goodwillie's Road to Recovery website. Get started by reading the introduction to our website, My Story. Please visit frequently to find out the latest news in Andrew's recovery in the journal entries, and write comments and well wishes in our guestbook.

On Saturday, July 30th around 12:30pm Andrew was racing in the Crankworx Cross country race in Winter Park, CO. He was racing in the top 5, doing great, and while descending late in the race, Andrew crashed. About 10 seconds after the crash, another rider, Josh Teplitzsky, who was right behind Andrew, found him and sent for help.  Andrew sustained a serious impact to his head and his helmet was cracked. A few minutes later, other riders came upon him and stabilzed him, including an EMT (Bart) who was also racing. Once race officials were notified of the crash, the racers from above were slowed and the race was stopped. Shortly after, his friend Todd Haavind, also racing (but far far behind!) came upon the accident and realized it was Andrew. Todd provided information as Andrew was stabilized. About 45 minutes later, medical personnel as well as other riders carried the backboard with Andrew off the mountain. He was airlifted to Denver Health. Meanwhile Catherine was notified and on her way to meet the ambulance which arrived at Denver Health around 3:00. Once at Denver Health, Andrew was stabilized, admitted to the Surgical ICU, and a full body CT was done. Andrew suffered a severe head trauma and had bleeding in the brain, but no physical injuires other than facial contusions and abrasions. He was intubated to assist with his breathing, though he could breath on his own, and his intercranial pressures were being closely monitored. The first night was very anxiety provoking, but his pressures never rose and he remained stable. Sunday morning, a third CT scan showed that the bleeding in his brain had stopped. They slowly decreased the amount of sedation medication to see how he would respond and Andrew's feisty personality came out as he tried to pull out his catheter and flashed some visitors while trying to rip off his blankets! Later in the afternoon, he began opening his left eye, looking at a photo of the kids and writing some words, including "Kelly". Andrew is talking a bit, but it is difficult to understand him and he is very tired. Andrew's condition is improving and the doctors are encouraged with his continual progress and are optimistic. His right side continues to show some weakness, which is consistent with the brain bleeding and swelling in the left side. His breathing tube was removed this afternoon along with the intercranial pressure monitor, and the doctors are very encouraged by his progress. We are optimistic that with each day we will see more forward steps in Andrew's recovery. The doctor's have told us that with an injury of this nature, the progress will be slow and the recovery long. But we all know that Andrew is a strong and determined man, and he will tackle this challenge just like he tackles everything in his life. And with the amazing support of his family and friends, we will all help Andrew, Catherine and the boys through this time. Catherine and their boys are grateful for everyones love, support and prayers. If you have any questions, please call Suzy (303) 596-4605, Stephanie (303) 523-1820 or Diane (303) 809-5473.